Best Treatment to Make my Top Lip Look Fuller?

I have a very small mouth and virtualy no top lip, I have been advised that a combination of filler and botox, filler for age lines and a little fulness to top lip and botox to slightly turn up edge of lip to look more full without plumping lip to look more natural, is this the best treatment as I want it to look as if i have more top lip without being to obviouse to others. Advised that only 4 units of botox required.

Best method for fuller top lip

+1

Without photos or exam, it is a bit more difficult to comment on your individual case.  Having said that, we usually use a hyaluronic acid filler, (i.e. Juvederm) for the lips.  The lips usually come out with good volume and shape.  Some use botox for the lips, but like any treatment, it is important to individualize this treatment.  Also important is to speak with your well trained, experienced injector.  It helps to also bring photos of your desired look. 

Juvederm for Fuller Lips

+1

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid along with Restylane. However, Restylane's consistency is slightly firmer. So Juvederm is sometimes preferred for the lips to give a softer look. But the ultimate decision really depends on the individual characteristics and preferences of the patient and doctor. 

Hyaluronic acid is a natural component of our bodies. However injection solutions are lab derived, not animal sourced, which lowers the risk of allergic reactions.

These molecules can bind to a large number of water molecules which allows it to hydrate the skin very well. They also integrate rather seamlessly with existing collagen and elastin structures beneath the skin's surface. Both these characteristics make HA injections ideal for tissue augmentation in a way that gives natural looking results.

Here is a video featuring a patient who had her lips augmented with Juvederm. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

I have performed many Lip Augmentations for over 20 years and IMHO, you should consider Alloderm or Silastic lip implants that have the ability to reliably increase the volume of the lips in an natural and aesthetically attractive manner.

Filling the top lip with fillers is the best option, botox is not as effective for this

+1

The other options other than fillers like restylane, perlane and juvederm are: perma lip augmentation, fat injections, the youngvolumizer, different tissue mobilization procedures, lip lifts, and other tissue transfering options. Botox is not as effective in making the lips fuller.  But it can cause a little upturned effect.  But the results with botox / dysport is short lived 3 months is the average. Below is a video on perma lip augmentation that might interest you.

Thanks for reading!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving the lips

+1

The filler will be the key treatment here, and juvederm or restylane are typically the fillers of choice. 4-6 units of Botox can provide some additional improvement, but would try the filler alone first. Ensure that a skin specialist with proper anatomical training such as a dermatologist treats you for optimal esthetic results.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

How to get a full upper lip?

+1

Without a good photo, or several, it is not proper to advise you.  No discussion of a fuller upper lip, or more "vermilion show" would be complete without consideration of lip lift.  Fat grafting, Aquamid, Permalip, Hyaluronic Acid products, even V to Y plasty or W plasty have all been described and incorporated successfully, among other possibilities.  In agreement with Dr. Steinsapir, it may be worthwhile seeking additional opinions in person.

Steve Laverson, MD

Lip augmentation with dermal filler and Botox

+1

After the eyes, the lips get noticed the most on the human face. Having fuller lips is considered to be attractive. In European and Asian faces, the relative proportion of the upper lip to lower lip ideally should be 1:2.  In African people this is normally 1:1.

Lip augmentation is a well developed technique using dermal fillers. Hyaluronic based fillers will give a more natural, soft feeling augmentation. They do not normally last for longer than 9-18 months, and get broken down naturally by the body's enzymes. Threading the filler along the border will give more defined lip contours, whereas volume enhancement will require placing the filler at the wet-dry border in the thickness of lips.

Botulinum toxin is sometimes used to soften the puckering action of the lips and make them curl out slightly at the borders. It also can be used to weaken the muscles that pull the corners of the mouth down, and give lips an overall more youthfull appearance.

You doctor obviously assessed your particular case, and advised you accordingly, but if you have doubts you may want to consult a few other doctors.

Alexandra Chambers, MD
London Dermatologist

Say no thank you for the BOTOX.

+1

I must say, that I think you should find a different lip injector.  Generally, someone recommending the blueplate special for the lips probably does not know what they are doing.  You want subtle, natural lip volume.  When you have very little upper lip, understand that after the treatment your upper lip will not look like Jessica Simpson's upper lip.  The lower lip should always be bigger than the lower lit.  Less is more.  Too much and you will look like you are in the adult entertainment business.

Natural lip augmentation and balancing

+1

I recommend only HA filler such as Juvederm.  Botox will be short lived in the lip and is not usually necessary.  A plastic and reconstructive surgeon that understands anatomy and aesthetics should deliver the results that you are after.  

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Best lip treatments

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane are the best options for correcting lips. They are used to increase volume, define the vermilion borders and create a more youthful curl, elevate and lift the corners of the mouth, and correct vertical wrinkle lines. They can restore the natural contour of the upper and lower lip and enhance the Cupid’s bow area. Lifting the corners of the mouth gives a hint of a smile and reduces the “sad or angry look” when they are down turned. Please remember, your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon