Treatment of Small Post-Rectus Plication Seroma with Sclerotherapy?

I had a rectus plication 6.5 weeks ago and have a small seroma. It is being managed with weekly aspirations. However, if it doesn't resolve soon, my surgeon will institute sclerotherapy with tetracycline. I've been doing research and want to know if this is the most effective sclerosing agent. Have you used it in your practice with success or have you had more success with a different agent such as alcohol?

Seroma Treatment After Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)

+1

Sclerosing a seroma pocket can be very successful.  I have not done this since my days as a trainee.  Tetracycline is commonly used and cost effective.  I have not had a persistent seroma in my professional practice due to the proper use of drains and now the use of "quilting sutures" to minimize the risk of a seroma.

Dr. ES

Seroma after Tummy Tuck

+1

I have been doing tummy tucks for 30 years and have never seen a seroma that did not respond to aspiration and snug abdominal binders round the clock.   19 surgeons operate out of our center  including the Stanford University Service and I have never heard of anyone having a seroma that could not be ended this way.  I have never used or seen or heard of sclerosing agents being used for this purpose.   Stick with more aspirations and use snug abdominal binders round the clock.  Also until resolution, reserve yourself from real strenuous activity.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Tetracycliine as a Sclerosing Agent

+1

This is a reasonable choice.  I have not used this in practice, but it has been used by fellow surgeons.  If the sclerosing agent does not help, excision will have to be considered.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA