Ask a doctor

Treatment for a Very Small Chin

I have a very small chin which makes my maxilla look bigger. I want my chin to be very sharp and pointy to achive a heart shaped,symmetrical face. Should I opt for a chin implant or an advancement genioplasty. I consulted several maxillo facial surgeons who came up with differnt suggestions.

Doctor Answers 5

Small Chin

Hi there. A “strong” and well-defined jaw and chin have traditionally been attractive physical traits. As such, some patients present with concerns about a weak or recessed chin.
A more aesthetic chin may be achieved by placement of a chin implant. Interestingly, a balanced chin improves overall facial appearance and may actually influence nasal projection.For example, a weak chin may increase the severity of an overprojected nose.
Good overall medical health, as well as realistic expectations, are necessary. It is also key to understand all aspects of the surgery and aftercare. A pleasing, balanced profile can be achieved by inserting an implant to augment a weak chin, resulting in improved facial harmony.
Hope this is helpful. Best wishes.

San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

18838 Stone Oak Parkway
San Antonio, TX 78258

Chin implant or sliding genioplasty for small chin treatment

Either an implant or sliding genioplasty are options for improving a recessed chin. A sliding genioplasty allows for some lengthening of the lower third of the face (by angling the chin downward in addition to forward) which can be beneficial in some patients.

Chin implants are a bit more straight forward to perform and can be done with just local numbing medicine, but in experienced hands a sliding genioplasty is certainly an option to consider.

It's not possible to assess which would be best for you without a more in depth examination. Not all surgeons do both implants and sliding genioplasty so some may only give you one option or another.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104

Treatment for a very small chin

A chin implant of a correct dimension is the easiest way to achieve an improvement. Otherwise a bony genioplasty is another choice.

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 77 reviews

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Chin augmentation

Chin augmentation can be achieved in different ways depending on the surgeon's comfort with a procedure and your personal choices regarding the type of augmentation you desire.  Chin implants are typically made of silastic and inserted through an incision under the chin.  Genioplasty cuts a portion of the chin and advances it forward.  There is a higher incidence of permanent numbness to the lower chin and lip with genioplasty versus implant.  The upside is you are utilizing your own tissue to augment your chin.  Consult an experienced surgeon for a proper evaluation.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

952 Echo Lane
Houston, TX 77024

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.