Treatment for a Very Small Chin

I have a very small chin which makes my maxilla look bigger. I want my chin to be very sharp and pointy to achive a heart shaped,symmetrical face. Should I opt for a chin implant or an advancement genioplasty. I consulted several maxillo facial surgeons who came up with differnt suggestions.

Chin implant or sliding genioplasty for small chin treatment

+1

Either an implant or sliding genioplasty are options for improving a recessed chin. A sliding genioplasty allows for some lengthening of the lower third of the face (by angling the chin downward in addition to forward) which can be beneficial in some patients.

Chin implants are a bit more straight forward to perform and can be done with just local numbing medicine, but in experienced hands a sliding genioplasty is certainly an option to consider.

It's not possible to assess which would be best for you without a more in depth examination. Not all surgeons do both implants and sliding genioplasty so some may only give you one option or another.

Treatment for a very small chin

+1

A chin implant of a correct dimension is the easiest way to achieve an improvement. Otherwise a bony genioplasty is another choice.

Chin augmentation

+1

Chin augmentation can be achieved in different ways depending on the surgeon's comfort with a procedure and your personal choices regarding the type of augmentation you desire.  Chin implants are typically made of silastic and inserted through an incision under the chin.  Genioplasty cuts a portion of the chin and advances it forward.  There is a higher incidence of permanent numbness to the lower chin and lip with genioplasty versus implant.  The upside is you are utilizing your own tissue to augment your chin.  Consult an experienced surgeon for a proper evaluation.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon