Treatment for a Very Small Chin

I have a very small chin which makes my maxilla look bigger. I want my chin to be very sharp and pointy to achive a heart shaped,symmetrical face. Should I opt for a chin implant or an advancement genioplasty. I consulted several maxillo facial surgeons who came up with differnt suggestions.

Chin implant or sliding genioplasty for small chin treatment

+1

Either an implant or sliding genioplasty are options for improving a recessed chin. A sliding genioplasty allows for some lengthening of the lower third of the face (by angling the chin downward in addition to forward) which can be beneficial in some patients.

Chin implants are a bit more straight forward to perform and can be done with just local numbing medicine, but in experienced hands a sliding genioplasty is certainly an option to consider.

It's not possible to assess which would be best for you without a more in depth examination. Not all surgeons do both implants and sliding genioplasty so some may only give you one option or another.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/chin-augmentation

Chin Implant or Genioplasty for Small Chin

+1

Chin implant or advancement genioplasty are the two main options for treatment of the small chin. Surgery for underdeveloped chins are commonly combined with rhinoplasty or face lift surgery, but may be performed alone.

Chin augmentation with a silicone implant is generally faster to perform with an easier recovery, however, may not be appropriate for some patients. Chin implants are typically inserted via a small incision under the chin, while intraoral approach can also be used. Advancement genioplasty is performed with an intraoral incision, where the bone is cut and re-plated to an improved position. Risk of nerve injury is relatively higher with genioplasty as compared to implants.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation by a chin surgeon specialist can he/she determine appropriate options for you.

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/facial-sculpting.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for a very small chin

+1

A chin implant of a correct dimension is the easiest way to achieve an improvement. Otherwise a bony genioplasty is another choice.

Chin augmentation

+1

Chin augmentation can be achieved in different ways depending on the surgeon's comfort with a procedure and your personal choices regarding the type of augmentation you desire.  Chin implants are typically made of silastic and inserted through an incision under the chin.  Genioplasty cuts a portion of the chin and advances it forward.  There is a higher incidence of permanent numbness to the lower chin and lip with genioplasty versus implant.  The upside is you are utilizing your own tissue to augment your chin.  Consult an experienced surgeon for a proper evaluation.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon