Treatment of Severe Acne Scars on Dark Skinned Patient?

I suffered from severe cystic acne in my teens that left me with really severe acne scars. I have tried everything under the sun for these scars and nothing works. The problem I run into is there isn't a lot of doctors who know how to treat acne scars on dark skin. I am so frustrated at this point. Are there any doctors that have successfully treated severe acne scars on dark skin, I am willing to travel. I just need help, these scars have ruined my skin and my life. Please help!

Treating Acne Scars on Dark Skin

+1

It is important that you visit a dermatologist who is experienced in treating acne scars on darker skin types.  I find that the Fraxel laser is a safe and effective way to stimulate collagen production and smooth out acne scars in skin of color.  The Fractional CO2 laser can also be used to treat acne scars in skin of color, in some instances.  There are ways to adjust the laser settings in both of these lasers to make them safer for use on darker skin types, and often using a brightening cream before and after the treatment will help to prevent post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation from the laser.  We have successfully treated acne scars for many patients with darker skin types.