Is There Any Treatment to Remove Broken Veins on the Face. Due to Discoid Lupus ?

NdYAG works just as well

+1

I use Cynosure Elite NdYag 1064nm with very good success on broken veins on Lupus patients or any other patients. I found that a lot of laser techs have had burns and hypopigmentation issues when using 585nm PulsedDye lasers. Are there studies comparing two types of lasers for efficacy?

Chandler General Surgeon

VeinWave for facial veins

+1

The Veinwave is an excellent technique for getting rid of small red dots (cherry heamngiomas) or small  blood vessels (telangiectasias) on the face, especially around the nose, cheeks and chin.  A very fine needle is inserted through the skin into the vein and   quick pulses of energy are delivered to destroy the vessel. There may be mild pinkness and swelling of the skin after which resolves in a short period of time.  It is generally a much less expensive treatment than using a laser.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Pulsed-dye laser for Broken Veins on Face in Discoid Lupus

+1

I agree with Dr. Smith.  The photosensitivity of discoid lupus is related to ultraviolet light radiation and not due to visible light.  Thus, any of the vascular lasers used for traditional laser treatment of facial veins will work because they use light from the visible spectrum except for the infrared NdYAG laser mentioned by Dr. Smith.  My preference is the industry standard pulsed-dye laser.  It has an excellent safety profile and rarely causes scarring.  They should do quite well.

dw

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Long pulsed Nd-YAG laser is useful for facial telangiectasia

+1

I have used my Cutera CoolGlide™ long pulsed Nd-YAG laser is useful for facial telangiectasia in patients who have discoid lupus, rosacea, sun damage and other conditions. Treatment parameters are no different for lupus patients than for anyone else.

Kevin C. Smith, MD
Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon