What is Involved in the Treatment Process for Miradry?

Is Miradry to remove armpit odor and sweating similar to getting laser hair removal treatment? Do you need to visit the office several times? Thank you for answering this question for me.

How miraDry works

+1

MiraDry is the only device on the market that is able to eliminate both eccrine (normal sweat) apocrine ("smelly" sweat) glands.  The miraDry procedure thereby helps to eliminate body odor related to sweat, which is also known as bromhidrosis.  The miraDry procedure utilizes microwave technology to selectively target and eliminate sweat glands in the armpits by focusing electromagnetic waves at a specific level in the body where sweat glands are located.  For optimal results, we recommend two miraDry treatments spaced 3 months apart.  Although you will likely achieve a 40-50% reduction in sweating after one treatment, two treatments are necessary to obtain a sweat reduction as high as 86% in most patients.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry versus Laser Hair Removal

+1

Laser hair removal can be made very compfortable with an anesthetic lidocaine creme. miraDry requires injecting the area with lidocaine and this involves tiny needle sticks that are the size of needles that are used daily by diabetics (30 Guage) and yet very tolerable.

I have never discontinued a procedure because the patient could not tolerate the discomfort. I wouldn't worry about the needles. As the area is anesthetized with lidocaine, subsequent needles hurt less and less because of local diffusion anesthetic from the previous needlesticks. Technique and experience counts and most cosmetic providers and hyperhidrosis treatment providers have experience with the miraDry procedure. I hope this answers the question.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Miradry takes longer to do than last hair removal but is less painful

+1

The big difference with  miradry is that we actually give numbing injections in the armpits which we don't do in laser hair removal.  With numbing injections, the miradry procedure is painless.  After the numbing shots which take about 5 minutes to administer, the procedure take about 15 minutes in each armpits.  Laser hair removal on average requires 6 sessions.  The miradry procedure only requires two sessions.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

One or two treatments

+1

First we need to know that you are a candidate, so we will ask questions about how sweating affects your life.  Then we need to know that you do NOT have a pacemaker or any metal implants in the area.  The treatment takes about 90 minutes and consists first of injecting anesthetic into the area, then the machine is applied.  There may be swelling and tenderness for about a week.  The second treatment is done 3 months after the first, to make certain that we have destroyed all the sweat glands.  We usually speak with you first on the phone or in the office before we do the procedure.

Laura Skellchock, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon