Recommended Treatment for Prematurely Aged Hands and Forearms?

I'm 35, but my hands and forearms look much older. My fair skin ages faster than normal in response to sun exposure. (In constrast, the skin on my stomach is smooth.) First noticed my hands looked older than normal when I was nine.

At one point, I was 80 lbs heavier than now, but I lost the weight slowly and have kept it off for 4 years. If I pinch an inch of skin towards my underarm, the tops of my arms look somewhat normal. Any ideas for treatment? Even when it's 100 degrees out, I wear long sleeves.

Treatment for Prematurely Aged Hands and Forearms

+2

One of the best ways to rejuvenate the skin on the hands and forearms involves no "down time" or expensive laser treatments and has been proven to produce even better results. The combination of micro-needling with human growth factor serums is unrivaled in the stimulation and production of new collagen and elastic fibers in the skin. Compared to fractionated laser treatments, micro-needling not only spares the epidermis, it strengthens it. Repeated "stimulation" of healthy keratinocytes leads to release of growth factors and cytokines that optimize cell-to-cell communication between keratinocytes, melanocytes, and fibroblasts. When these signals are boosted, fibroblasts differentiate to form normal collagen and greater amounts of hyaluronic acid. The result is thicker, healthier looking skin.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

I would definitely use a combination of fillers and Fraxel for your hands.  The fillers would plump up the loose skin.  Fraxel would remove all of the sun damage from too much sun.  The underarms I would treat with Thermage to tighten the skin.  These non-invasive treatments work best on younger patients whose collagen is still young.  These would be the best combination.  Please find an experienced board certified dermatologist who has a lot of cosmetic dermatology experience.

Michele S. Green, MD

Skin rejuvenation for hands and forearms

+1

Fillers and IPL or Fraxel laser will improve the appearance of your hands.  You must use sun protection daily and tretinoin cream.  The looseness of your arms can be treated with Thermage for tightening and Fraxel or SmartXide laser for improved texture.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Treatment for Prematurely Aged Hands

+1
The skin of the hands significantly thins as we age, along with the loss of soft tissue and muscle volume making hands appear much older. Making hands appear younger is a twofold process. Soft tissue fillers, such as Radiesse, Sculptra, or Fat Injections add youthful volume effectively hiding veins and increasing the thickness of the skin. Volume enhancement is coupled with IPL (FotoFacial) treatments to soften brown spots and provide improved skin texture. The result are hands that not only look younger, but appear more vibrant.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Radiesse for your hands and IPL for your arms/hands

+1

I would suggest Radiesse for your hands to add volume and reduce the appearance of your veins.  Then I would do a few IPL Photofacial treatments on your arms and hands to reduce the brown spots and uneven pigmentation, as well as help the skin get smoother and softer with no downtime.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Reversing signs of aging on Hands and Forearms

+1

I would strongly recommend a filler like Radiesse for the backs of the hands...plumping the skin in this area helps to disguise the tendons and blood vessels that become more visible with time and age and weight loss.  For the hands and forearms, to help with evening out color and texture I would recommend treatments with the Fraxel laser.  We treat many patients with these complaints. Often a patient's hands and arms look much older than their face and we strive to have you looking like one youthful whole person, not a collection of parts that don't really match up.

Grant Stevens, MD

The most effective way to treat aging hands and forearms...

+1

The most effective way to treat aging hands and sun damaged arms would be the use of fillers for the hands, and the YAG laser or Fraxel laser for the hands and forearms.  First a couple of different options concerning the hands could be used.  Fat injection is a good way to plump up the hands and add volume.  There are also fillers such as Radiesse that also lessen the look of the aging process. The Fraxel laser is a laser that  has the ability to reduce the appearance of age spots and pigmented areas caused by over exposure to the sun.  It also tightens loose skin that may make the forearm appear older.  If the skin of the arms is too loose, you may need a surgical procedure to tighten them.  Consult your surgeon to see what would be the best option for you.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for prematurely aged hands and forearms

+1

You have 2 differing issues. The dyschromia of the skin and the wrinkling. The loss of volume in the extensor surface of the hands. For the first issue any IPL or Fraxel will improve. As for the volume defect, I recommend Enhanced Fat Transfer (EFT - fat grafts activated with stem cell therapy) over fillers. But if I were to use a filler I would use Radeisse, Aretfill, or PMMA.

From MIAMI DR. B

Options for Aging Hands & Forearms?

+1

For the aging hands, we would recommend dermal fillers.  We agree that Radiesse is an option but prefer hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm or Perlane.

As for the forearms, we would not make a recommendation.  Based on how your forearms look, we do not think lasers will offer an appreciable improvement.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Aging hands

+1

Proceed carefully. Aging hands and forearms are very difficult and some treatments can be disasterous. Others can be very expensive and deliver no results. I have seen many disappointments from Fraxel. and terrible results from fillers.