Treatment Options for Nevus on the Nose For 11 Year Old Boy? (photo)

My son(11yrs/Korean ethnicity) has a nearly 2cm diameter melanocytic nevus on the right side of the nose. This has become darker over the years and thicker (as one would expect) and increasing number of hairs within it. We want advice on how to choose the best treatment to make the scar least, with our ethinicity being considered.

Excision is an option for the nevus on the nose

+1

Because of the size, there are no perfect options. Total excision can be done with a forehead flap reconstruction of the defect is likely one of the best options.  You will have a scar on the forehead though and you will have to weigh the options. Below is a video to illustate our answer better. We have other informative videos and information on our website and a link is included to help you find us.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser for mole on nose

+1

Congenital moles of this type extend deeply into the skin and exicison would leave a large, deep wound.  A skin graft would look sunken in and would be unacceptable in my opinion.  Closure would require a large, multi-staged flap and there would be risk of significant scarring and as well as risk of alar rim elevation and distortion.  I would consider laser therapy which is done with some frequency for these types of moles in Asia.  In the US, I would see Dr. Rox Anderson at Massachusetts General Hospital.  Laser does not remove the mole in its entirety but can be very helpful to make it less dark and less noticeable.  Laser would also reduce the hair growth within the mole.  There is a small risk of malignant melanoma within these types of moles so any change within the mole should be evaluated by a dermatologist.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Nose nevus

+1

This  is one of the most difficult areas to reconstruct especially in a young person with very little skin laxity and the need to minimize the scars.

I would excise and cover with a full thickness skin graft. If the cartilage gets exposed then a flap is needed. A nasolabial fold flap next would be a forehead flap. The skin graft has the least scars but not a super cosmetic results. Flaps may give a better cosmetic result, but more scars.