Can I Get Treatment For Large Pores or Scars?

I want to get treatment for my rough skin texture. Are the holes mainly large scarred pores or scars? Which treatment(s) may respond best?

Large Pores and Scars Can Be Treated

+2

Yes! Those conditions can be treated effectively. The Laser Genesis treatment is a ND:YAG laser that is non-ablative and is very effective for these conditions. Usually 4-6 treatments are necessary, but there is little or no downtime with these treatments and the risks are low. These treatments also help control acne in adults for at least 6 months. I have some patients who require treatments for acne only every 2 years. I have had great success with reducing pore size and making acne scars less prominent.

Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

A combination approach will make a big improvement.

+1
Although it’s hard to say for sure without an exam, typically a combination approach of chemical peels and laser resurfacing are enough to make a noticeable improvement in the texture of your skin. Although both of these treatments improve the skin’s surface, they work in different ways so they’re very complementary and are great in combination with each other. Your pores will look far less visible, and scars will be minimized, plus any uneven pigmentation should be smoothed out very nicely, along with fine lines or wrinkles.

Joseph J. Castellano, MD
Tampa General Surgeon

Fraxel is the Best Treatment for Rough skin texture/acne scars and pores

+1
Fraxel is the best non-invasive procedure for correcting the texture of the skin, especially small scars on the face.  Although it make take several treatments, there is little down time in between procedures and you can go back to work the next day.  It is easily tolerated unlike the old CO2 laser which was very difficult on the skin and could take many weeks to heal.  Fraxel is a very elegant procedure.  Please find an experienced cosmetic dermatology in your area for the procedure.  

Michele S. Green, MD

Reducing pore size

+1

To reduce your pore size, there are various options. First, I'd want to see how you'd respond to 6 months of a prescription tretinoin cream, and in some cases a trial of isotretinoin. Chemical peels and microdermabrasion can be helpful, though fractionated laser resurfacing such as with the ProFractional laser can be quite helpful. Other lasers such as the Genesis can also be considered.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Spectra Laser by Lutronic new gold standard for pore size reduction

+1

Spectra Laser by Lutronic has taken the Q-switched Nd:Yag laser to higher level by adding Carbon lotion application prior to treatment which focuses the laser energy on pores and hair follicles. Via its photoacoustic effect, we have witnessed consistent pore size reduction with 2 sessions of no-downtime treatments (though most would benefit from a series of 5, a month a part). There will be incremental scar revisional benefit as well via collagen remodeling. I also recommend application of prescription strength topical retinoid to keep pore sizes small.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for large pores and scars

+1

It's difficult to determine the condition of the skin from the picture but large pores and acne scars generally respond well to chemical peels and laser resurfacing. Jessner's peels are particularly good for texture. Get evaluated by a doctor.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Fraxel restore laser is a great treatment for pores and wrinkles

+1

We have found that Fraxel restore is a fantastic treatment for shrinking pores, smoothing texture and improving fine and some medium wrinkles.  There is no other laser, in my experience, that works as well for pores as this laser does.  We also have the Fraxel CO2 repair and while it is great for medium and deep wrinkles it doesn't seem to improve pores as well as the Fraxel restore.  Both work well on scars as well.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon