Best Treatment for Hypertrophic Acne Scars?

My skin can best be described as "lumpy", with hypertrophic acne scars covering most of my face. I am a Caucasian female, 41. The scars have become noticeably worse in the past year or so, to the point I avoid activities and work from home so people cannot see my skin in strong light.

I am looking into Fraxel re:pair and re:store, but I'm getting the impression these do not help much with hypertrophic scars? Please please help.

Fractional CO2 laser for scar revision and scar treatment

+1

The fractional lasers work well to resurface scars on the face that are caused by acne or trauma to the skin.  I would advise my scar revision and scar treatment patients to consider the fractional CO2 laser. 

You need evaluation for hypertrophic acne scar treatment

+1

Impossible question to give a definitive answer! You need in person evaluations from very qualified doctors expert in acne scar correction. Dermabrasion to CO2 Laser to Fraxel can all help. It is the degrees of improvement one should anticipate with the residual of any side effects.

That is why in the Internet, answer is very difficult to give.

Acne scarring treatment can be difficult

+1

Acne scar treatment can be very difficult. I find laser ablation techniques using either erbium or CO2 to be the best. This can be used to adjust the height difference between the normal skin and the acne flattened skin.

The gold treatment for severe acne scars is the CO2 laser

+1

Unfortunately, other treatments like the Fraxel laser and dermabrasion do not go deep enough in folks with significant acne scarring. They are less agressive treatments with a faster healing time; however, the improvement results are less dramatic and are not comparable. When someone has significant acne scarring the less agressive treatments will only give a lower percent of improvement versus the CO2 laser. The downside is the longer healing time which can leave you with pinkness on your face for up to 3 months or so. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon