Treatment Frequency for IPL for Rosacea?

I just began a series of six IPL treatments for redness and small visible vessels from rosacea. The nurse told me to come once per week, but most of what I've read on this site talks about 3 or 4 weeks between sessions. I had no pain, burning or swelling after my first treatment. Is there any harm in getting one treatment per week. Is this too often?

Frequency of IPL for Rosacea

+1

Generally speaking, they should be performed at least 3-4 weeks apart to see how your skin reacted to the first treatment. I would discuss with your Nurse why they would want you to come in every week, they might have the settings really low so you can adjust to the treatment.  Good Luck!

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

IPL Treatments...

+1

We usually recommend our treatments to be 3 to 4 weeks apart for treating Rosacea.  Your provider may increase the intensity of the IPL as treatments go on.  The first time treatment may have been that he/she was being conservative to see how your skin reacts. -this is normal.

Good luck.

Dr. Grant Stevens 

Grant Stevens, MD

Time between IPL treatments

+1

The generally recommended time between IPL treatments is 3-4 weeks.  As the treatments progress, the settings on the IPL machine are usually adjusted to give the maximal results, and it is possible that you might encounter swelling or redness if the treatments are given too frequently.

Keith A. LaFerriere, MD
Springfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

IPL for rosacea

+1

Intense pulsed light treatments work by targeting melanin (pigment) and hemoglobin (blood) in the skin.  IPL works well to reduce the redness and flushing seen in rosacea by destroying blood vessels.  Treatments are usually performed 3-4 weeks apart to avoid complications from overtreatment such as hyperpigmentation (brown spots) or scarring. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Miami Beach Dermatologist