Treatment for Redness in 5 Year Old Surgical Scar (Sternum)?

5 years ago I had open heart surgery (artificial heart valve). I used silicone sheeting, and the scar is flat, but still red. There's also some tightening so one can see the bump from staple. What is the best treatment for the redness (my main concern)? Thank you.

Pulsed dye laser and scar revision

+1

The pulsed dye laser can help reduce redness associated with red scars on the face and body. 

Pulsed Dye Lasers for Redness

+1

Hi Goldie.  Your best bet is a pulsed dye laser in the hands of a skilled laser practitioner.  We have treated the exact concern you are mentioning (open heart surgery scar) successfully more than once with a Cynosure V-Star laser.  Candela V-Beam is also a good pulsed dye laser.  Bruising my be necessary to resolve the redness so ask whomever you visit to discuss this with you.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD