Any Treatment for my Scars? (photo)

Are there any treatments that would either get rid of my scars or help reduce the appearance? Do you think dermabrasion or chemical peels would work on the cuts (scars 1), if not what treatment might work? The cuts in scars 1 aren't very deep, but some of them are raised a tiny bit. They're about a year and a half or two years old. The ones on my wrist (scars 2) are about four years old, and are raised more than the cuts. Please don't judge me.

Combined Laser & Cortisone Injections Optimize Scar Therapy

+2

Raised scars respond initially to dilute cortisone injections to soften and relax the tissues around them. I have found a combining this technique with CO2 Laser on 1mm spot if raised and thick, followed by fractional settings to yield the best results. These treatments are usually spaced 6 to 8 weeks apart for the first year, and 3 to 4 months apart if further treatments required. Make sure that the Laser Center you choose has a few different wavelengths, because often times a vascular component to a scar will benefit from a wavelength that targets vessels. Good Luck. M.Lyons, MD (Facial Plastic & Cosmetic Surgeon)

Mobile Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers are the best option for this type of scar

+2

Hi, I would steer you away from chemical peels or dermabrasion. Those are unlikely to help the appearance of your scars and carry a higher chance of complications. In my personal experience, I have found these scars to do reasonably well with fractionated lasers. I would recommend you see a dermatologist who has advanced training in lasers and understands the science behind how these lasers work so they can get you the best result. Also you want to see a dermatologist who has multiple lasers so they choose the best one for your particular issue. Good luck.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Cutting scars and laser skin resurfacing for scar revision

+1

These are very difficult scars to treat, but with your skin type and hypopigmentation, the Fractional CO2 laser provides the best option.  I have performed treatments on these types of scars with much success.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS