Best Treatment for Under Eye Fat Loss and Circles? (photo)

A couple years ago I lost about 10lbs unintentionally and since then have noticed my face looks a lot thinner and more hollow than it used to. I've always had some darkness under my eyes but it has since become worse, accompanied with some tear trough hollowness and just overall looseness under my eyes. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of the best treatment for my problems! I'm 24 and I've heard that non-permenant treatments are best for someone my age. I'd love any feedback!

Best Treatment for Under Eye Fat Loss and Circles?

+2

The most commonly used options are off-the-shelf dermal fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane or fat transfer. I've found fat transfer to be somewhat unpredictable in the under eye area mainly due to the risk of lumps or bumps and uncertain survival of the transferred fat. Thus, I recommend a hyaluronic acid based dermal filler such as Juvederm for the undereye area. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filling in hollowness of the lower eyelids

+1

Topical products such as Skinmedica dermal repair for eyes can be of benefit.  This particular product has Boron in it and helps to reflect the light making the appearance of the dark circles less.  Also products such as this and Retin-A help to thicken the epidermis. Circles under the eyes appear dark because the skin is thin and there are many blood vessels and muscle directly under the skin.  Some patients will benefit from microablative CO2 laser treatment to tighten the skin and  soft tissue fillers such as Juvederm to fill in hollows.

Dermal Filler or Laser Resurfacing

+1

Hi Deslynn,

This seems to be a common concern.  Loose skin and hollowness can happen at any age due to genetics or weight loss.  We are a very high volume dermal filler practice and notice great improvements with dermal filler like Juvederm in the tear trough.  Dermal filler may help loose skin however, you may need skin tightening or resurfacing for crepiness.  It's always best to schedule a consultation prior.

Dr. Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat Loss

+1

Sure, autologous fat transplantation can be used to refill soft tissue depressions and improve your overall look around the orbit, etc.!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon