Treatment For Drooping Eyelid in Elderly?

My 94 year old aunt has the eyelid of the only eye she can see through almost permanently closed. The eye waters and the lid is painful when she attempts to hold it open. Until recently the eyes have been stuck together when she first woke up but cleared on washing. Now she is worried that her independence is threatened just through an eyelid. Is there any medicine she can apply? Please help her - she is normally such good and happy company!

94 year old troubling with eye

+2

Thank you for your question on behalf of your aunt.
• She needs to see a Board Certified Ophthalmologist.
• From your description an infection seems likely,
• She can rinse this with natural tears but should not nothing more until seen.
• With her vision possibly threatened, I suggest the appointment be made now.

Eyelid problems in an elderly patient

+1

There could be an infection of the eye and she should be initially seen by an ophthalmologist.  After the infection of the eye has cleared then she is a candidate for either an upper eyelid blepharoplasty or a brow lift.  With proper care she should be able to have her vision restored.  

Senile ptosis

+1

It sounds like your aunt has a combination eye infection and ptosis. I would agree with an appt. with an eye dr. to evaluate both problems. An infection will respond to appropriate treatment and the ptosis may be improved surgically,depending on its etiology.A plastic surgeon or ophthalmic plastic surgeon who does ptosis surgery would be your best bet.

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Treatment For Drooping Eyelid in Elderly

+1

It is impossible to determine what is going on with the information provided. What your aunt needs is an appointment with a board certified ophthalmologist, or, preferrably, an ophthalmic plastic surgeon who is an ophthalmologist. I would do this as soon as possible. When you only have one eye, you need to take any problem in it very seriously.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon