Best Treatment to Fade Stretch Marks: Retin-A or Laser?

I have very strong pregnancy stretch marks around and under my navel, hips, abdomen, breasts and thighs. I would like to fade them as much as possible and I have heard that laser treatments and Retin-A 001% are good at this. Which treatment is better? Do they do the same job? can I use both treatments at the same time? If laser treatment is the best option: which one is better from the many kinds of laser that claim to be effective: fraxel resurfacing, pulsed dye, CO2 and the Lux1540 laser?

Best treatment for stretch marks.

+2

We have had very good results using the NON-Ablative fractionated laser.  The treatments can break up some of the color problems, but also improve the smoothness of the skin.  You may need a few treatments, but the results are impressive.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stretch Mark removal non-invasive

+1

Unfortunately stretch marks cannot be removed by any non-surgical method. The only way they can be removed is through surgery. Stretch marks are caused because the skin is stretched beyond its capacity to recoil. Its like a rubber band that is over stretched and can never regain its original shortened length. Any laser that claims to tighten skin has not addressed the basic physiologic problem which is a dermis that is overstretched. The laser will however help the coloration but the stretch marks themselves will persist. You have to ask yourself if the goal is stretch mark removal or if its the discoloration that bothers you. Your best option is to have  tummy tuck. Any stretch marks above the umbilicus will likely not be removed. Visit with a plastic surgeon.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Lasers for white or red stretch marks

+1

In my practice, I use pulsed dye laser for red stretch marks and fractional laser skin resurfacing for white stretch marks.  Both work very well. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS