Treatment to Fade 2nd Degree Burn Mark. Will IPL or Other Treatment Work?

I'd 2nd deg burn 3 wks ago in the chest,arm & on the face near the mouth. Has almost healed with dark patch. I'm brown skinned & wondering what kind of treatment can hasten the fading of this mark? I'd like to know from someone who has experience with this kind of pigmentation as to how long it'll take to fade on its own W/O treatment? Can IPL or microdermabrasion work? I spoke to my insurance and they said they'll they will pay-any experience with this? Any any feedback will be appreciated.

Microdermabrasion is not likely to improve this problem.

+1

Microdermabrasion is not likely to improve this problem. You should see some   improvement from a series of IPL treatments. Other treatment options are the pulsed dye and/or Q-switched Nd:YAG laser. The goal of all treatments is to improve the color, but there still may be some 2nd degree burn induced scar formation.

Post-inflammatory pigmentation from burn injury - Treatment consideration

+1

Most important things to do for burn injury in sun exposed areas such as the face, neck, or hands are ice compress for the first couple days with constant emollient application for the first couple weeks using chilled aloe vera or Biafine (prescription-only), and consistent daily sun protection. IPL or photofacial is the last thing you want to do for post-inflammatory pigmentation (PIH) from burn injury as it has the potential to make PIH worse. Seek out an experienced cosmetic dermatologist who may review Nd:Yag lasers such as Spectra laser or GenesisPlus laser to facilitate resolution of the PIH or dyschromia.

Web reference: http://www.drwilliamting.com/Cosmetic_Dermatology.html

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Consult a board-certified dermatologist in person

+1

I would suggest you consult a board-certified dermatologist in person for an evaluation and assessment. While IPL can help it needs to be done by extremely well-trained individuals and in an office with a physician directly involved every step of the way. (Particularly if you're trying to deal with insurance.) I would probably recommend IPL, Laser Genesis, some Silkpeel Dermalinfusion as some of the pigment begins to break up, and home care of hydroquinone and daily sunscreen. Do not under any circumstances sunburn these affected areas. I do not think, and I'm sorry to say this, that it will ever be 100% back to normal, and it definitely won't be without any treatment done. It can be helped immensely but you need to visit the right physician!

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.