Treatment for Enlarged Turbinate After Rhinoplasty?

I had Rhinoplasty 5 weeks ago. I think I have developed an enlarged turbinate inside my left nostril. I noticed it right after the interior splints were removed 3 days after surgery. It hasn't gone down.

Is there treatment for it? Is this common after Rhinoplasty?

Probably not your turbinate

+1

I have never been able to see a turbinate from the outside either before or after a rhinoplasty. I also doubt that this is what you are seeing. Without a picture or an exam, it is difficult to understand why the other responder to this question would call this a deformity that requires a revision rhinoplasty, but you should followup with your surgeon for an examination.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

If you can see it from the outside, it is not a turbinate.

+1

Hi!

It sounds like you have some kind of post operative deformity in your left nostril. It almost certainly is not your turbinate if you can see it from the outside. It may be your septum, or alar cartilage. The bad news is that it won't go away after 5 weeks. You may need a revision rhinoplasty is several months, if it really bothers you.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Enlarged turbinate after rhinoplasty

+1

It is common to have some swelling of the turbinate after any nasal surgery. It should get better with time. If not, then you should see an Otolaryngologist to get some steroid nasal spray and may be an antihistamine spray. If that does not work then you can also undergo surgical excision(partial) or cauterization of the turbinates to reduce the size.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon