Can IPl Treatment Be Effective for Dry Eye Syndrome?

I have read that IPL helps dry eye syndrome. Can you verify this?

IPL and Dry Eyes

+1

Most manufacturers of IPL lasers suggest technicians do not go within the orbital rim of the eye because the tissue is much softer and different and can be more easily damaged. This is where you would have to go to treat dry eye syndrome. Dr. Toyos is the physician you are referring to who uses IPL in this area to help treat dry eyes and one of his papers is referenced below. (Please note though that most of his patients suffer from many different eye problems and not just dry eyes!)

Most IPL operators have patients wear eyecovers during procedures for the simple fact that manufacturers do not suggest this area be treated and tell us to avoid direct flashes into the eyes. If you want more information on the studies done and what Dr. Toyos is doing in his research you'd need to contact his office in California, but for most operators of IPL, we wouldn't be able to answer to the effects of IPL and dry eye syndrome because it's an area that's not treated.

IPL and dry eye syndrome

+1

Unfortunately, IPL wouldn't help with dry eyes.  You should consult your Ophthalmologist or Internist for more information on how to help you.  Good luck. 

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I cannot see a possibility of IPL being effective for dry eye symptoms.

You should consult with an Ophthalmologist.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Dry Eyes and IPL

+1

I have never used IPL to treat dry eyes nor have I ever heard of such a thing.

Dr. Grant Stevens       

Grant Stevens, MD