Best Treatment for Depressed Acne Scars & Keloid Acne Scars - Safe to Use While Pregnant?

I have a combination of raised acne bump scarring and depressed acne scars,I am looking for the best ,most effective treatment available,if possible anything to use during pregnancy also,I am currently pregnant and is so self cautious about it. I've heard about the Purigenix collagen mask may help with some of the depressed acne scarring,and is safe to use during pregnancy,but isn't sure if will help with my situation,any suggestions or recommendations would be gladly appreciated and considered

Liquid injectable silicone for acne scarring

+2

I think the best treatment for depressed acne scars is liquid injectable silicone in microdroplet technique. There really is nothing you can or should do while you are pregnant. If you are breaking out, erythromycin topical is generally accepted as a safe treatment for acne while pregnant. Topical treatments for acne scars do not have any effect. C.R.O.S.S. Technique, Collagen Reconstruction of Skin Scars, uses 100% trichloroacetic acid to delicately injure the skin and cause healing with new collagen formation. Proper and successful treatment of acne scars often needs more than one therapy. Barry Resnik, Dermatologist, Miami, FL

Miami Dermatologist

Intralesional kenalog for raised acne scars

+2

If the "raised acne scars" are acne cysts or keloids/hypertrophic scars, then an injection with a dilute steroid (Kenalog) directly into the lesion can be very beneficial.  Intralesional Kenalog injections into acne lesions are considered safe during pregnancy.  It is advisable to make an appointment with a board certified dermatologist to be evaluated and initiate a safe and effective acne treatment regimen.

Anthony Perri, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Depressed scar treatment

+2

There are many fillers that can be used to elevate depressed scars.  The most common currently are Restylane or Juvederm which are hyaluronic acid and last about one year.  Radiesse, a calcium based filler also can be used and may last a little longer.  There are two permanent fillers that can be used, Silicone and Artefill but at this time, both, although FDA approved for other uses, are off label for scars.  All can be safely used while pregnant.

Other approaches for scars involve the use of lasers, which have varying degrees of success depending on the scar and the laser.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Steroid injections are safe...

+1
If your scars are raised, then the use of steroid injections can help flatten them. This is absolutely safe in pregnancy. My suggestion is that you wait till you deliver, before treating depressed scars. 
With the event of new fillers such as Juvaderm, depressed scars can be safely and effectively treated. Fillers last between 12-18 months and the results are instant. My suggestion- be patient. Fillers are not indicated if you are pregnant. 

Regards

Dr Davin Lim 
Aesthetic and Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist