What is the Best Treatment for Dark Circles Under Eyes Caused by Both Visible Blood Vessels and Hollow Eyes ?

I am a female 21 years old and had dark circles including the visible blood vessels since I was 10 years old

Bags and circles

+2

Hi there

You are very young and I would be very cautious before proceeding with any invasive procedures.  I would start will the use of a filler.  I find Restylane to be the safest under the eyes for dark circles (hollows).  This may give you enough of an improvement that nothing else is warranted.  Sometimes in our pursuit of excellence we run into trouble which is hard to reverse.  Try Restylane and post back if it is not enough.  Restylane can be reversed of you are not pleased.  So there is nothing lost in the attempt to address your concern.  Best of luck and hoping this does the trick

Dark circles may be treated with fillers

+2

There are several causes of dark circles under the eyes, some treated better than others.  In most cases, fillers under the eyes will reduce dark circles.  The most common causes for dark circles include:

1. Thin skin directly under the eye.  Everyone has thin skin here and this cannot be treated.
  2. Indentations along the bone (tear trough).  This is treated well with fillers.
  3. Low cheek bones can actually make dark circles worse.  This is treated with fillers to augment the cheeks.
  4. Bags caused by fat under the eyes may be treated with surgery.

Dark circles under the eyes can be treated very well with fillers under the eyes, however this requires a lot of skill, experience and aesthetic judgment.  Find someone who specializes in this area in particular, put your face in skilled hands!

Good luck in your search for information!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

It takes a combination of therapies for a good result.

+2
Hollow eyes are best treated by using a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane to soften the transition from the bony orbit combined with a fractional laser (we use the Mixto) to decrease the pigmentation. The aftercare of the laser is essential and includes kojic acid,steroids, and hydroquinones to get a smooth color transition. Unfortunately visible veins have no good anwer which is permanent. Dr. Mayl Fort Lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Dark Circles of the Lower Eyelids

+2

Dark circles that stay on the lower eyelids without any history of trauma or surgery in in the area could be due to nasal allergies and are called allergic shiners. Before considering any surgical or laser procedures, I would recommend a consultation with your physician to explore and exclude this as a possiblity. If you do have nasal allergies, topical nasal steroid sprays such as fluticasone can be very helpful when used daily.

If nasal allergies are excluded with skin or blood tests and you have no sinus problems, then I would consider treatment with a Q-switched ND:YAG laser or IPL treatments. If your eyes are sunken in significantly, fat transfer could be considered as an option.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nonsurgical correction of lower eyelids

+1

The visible blood vessels on your lower eyelids can be treated with a tunable dye laser that specifically targets the blood vessels. It may take more than one treatment but most of these can successfully be eliminated. The hollow appearance can be treated with hyaluronic acid injections such as Restylane or Juvederm.  This is a simple office procedure done with a local anesthetic to reduce pain and bruising.  Although these are not FDA approved for injecting into the lower lids, their use in that area is considered 'off-label' and tends to be very effective.  To reduce bleeding and bruising with the injections, avoid taking anything that can thin your blood for two weeks before your treatment such as aspirin.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon