What Treatment Would Best Correct 10-yr Old Lipo Issues?

I had lipo on my upper and lower abs over 10 yrs ago. I work out and my abs don't have very much fat on them but the surface never looks smooth. I have indentions/lumpiness and up by my ribcage it ALWAYs looks bruised on both sides ... almost like TOO much was taken out and it's creepy looking. What treatment would best correct these issues?

You need a consultation with an expert regarding your liposuction and skin needs.

+1

It is difficult to determine what would be best for you without a face to face consultaton.  You should seek the opinion or experts in your area.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat grafting may be an option

+1

It is hard to know the best way to address your situation without a physical exam and/or photos.  Frequently we see patients with contour deformities after over aggressive liposuction.  The treatment of choice for this problem is fat grafting.  During this procedure, fat is harvested, prepared, and then carefully injected beneath the deformity in extremely small amounts.  In many cases, multiple sessions are necessary. 

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Secondary Abdominal Skin Uneveness After Liposuction

+1

I suspect that the abdominal contour irregularities/uneveness to which you describe is best left alone. This sounds like a generalized skin appearance from aggressive liposuction that has left little subcutaneous fat buffer. While fat transfer by injection is a potential treatment option, that is more effective for larger indentations rather than as an effort to thicken up or smooth out larger surface areas such as the abdomen. If one needed a tummy tuck of some form this may help smooth some of that out but that doesn't sound like an operation you need.  

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Post-liposuction defects

+1

its very common to have defects after liposuction. sometimes due to over suctioning and other times due to under treatment of the concerned areas. I always call my patients back for evaluation in 2 months to make sure if they have any defects that need revision. and revisions are included in the cost of the procedure. obviously every surgeon has his/her own preference and if ure seeking advice from a board certified plastic surgeon/cosmetic surgeon they are trained in fat transfers, fillers, and other skin tightening techniques that can help improve the skin contour. my best advice to you would be to have a consultation and address all your issues and see what options exist for your situation. and dont settle for cost. u need to find someone who knows what they are doing.

Misbah Khan, MD

Contour problems after liposuction

+1
There are many potential treatments depending on the condition, including revisional liposuction, an abdominoplasty or fat injections. It would be impossible to determine which would be appropriate for you without a physical examination. It is not normal to have a bruised appearance after liposuction. See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to discuss your options.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Contour problems after liposuction

+1

Unfortunately, contour irregularities are not uncommon after liposuction.  I would suggest that you see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss options for correction.  Some options may include fat injections, secondary liposuction, a tummy tuck, or some combination of all of the above.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Post liposuction problems

+1

Problems after liposuction are relatively common.  Over aggressive liposuction is often the cause.  I fear that in the years to come there will be even worse problems from overly lasered skin, which develops a mottled, discolored appearance.

There are usually very good treatments for your type of problem, often involving direct removal of tethering scar tissue and redrawing of the skin by means of minimally invasive tummy tuck techniques.

Revisional liposuction techniques help but tend to be weak, in my opinion.  These typically utilize fat injection into hollow areas and micro liposuction in high regions.  Revisional instant on-off cannulas are most helpful for this type of procedure.

Brent Moelleken, MD