Best Treatment For Chicken Pox Scars?

I had chicken pox when i was 2 years old , i used to scratch them alot , and too bad it left marks on my nose , 4 marks to be exact , they are brown big scars on my nose and i want them removed...i dont want have laser resurfacing , what is the cheapest yet effective way to remove them fast besides laser? i hate them and they bring my self esteem down..thanks in advance

Best Treatment for Chicken Pox Scars

+2

It is difficult to accurately recommend the best and least expensive treatment for the chicken pox scars you mentioned. It is unclear from your pictures if the scars are pitted/depressed as well as pigmented. You did not note what you skin type and ethnicity are, and I would want to know if under normal wound healing conditions, you had a tendency toward hyperpigmentation.

Pitted and pigmented scars need resurfacing and well as pigment reduction. Since you have taken lasers out of the treatment equation, I would consider recommend having you use a lightening agent as part of a preparation protocol toward a combination of vibradermabrasion and peels, performed in a series.

Of course, a complete consultation and in-depth discussion of risks, benefits will be required.

Chicken Pox Scars

+1

There are several ways to improve the appearance of chicken pox scars.

- It often depends on where the scars are located and how deep they are.

- Sometimes the scar is simply excised completely and the surroundking skin is sutured together.

- Although this creates a small scar, it can be hidden in a natural crease and can be easily covered with foundation and concealer -- the trade-off may be worth it.

Other times, a technique call subscision can be used to stimulate collagen formation, which results in a correction of the indentation.

Sometimes fillers such as hyaluronic acid or silicone can be used in conjunction with subscision to smooth the countour.

Finally, if the scars are not that deep, CO2 fractional laser resufacing is useful.

Deborah Sarnoff, MD