Treatment Options for Auto-immune Related Eyebrow Loss?

Hello, I'm a 40 yr old caucasian female with total eyebrow loss. It happened about 2 years ago and I've been tested for everything under the sun and been told there is "nothing wrong with me". My TSH (thyroid)score is apparently normal at 1.5 so this would leave me to conclude that my eyebrow loss is auto-immune related. My question is: are there any effective treatments for auto-immune related eyebrow loss topical or pills?? I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone and everyone. Thxs

Eyebrow loss

The most likely causes of a 40 year old caucasian female with new onset eyebrow loss in North America is frontal fibrosing alopecia following by alopecia areata. Of course other causes like overplucking and trichotillomania need to be considered. 

Although you'd likely be proven right by stating the cause of eyebrow loss is autoimmune in nature, there are so many other causes including infections, malignancies, sarcoidosis, etc. There are about 100 causes of brow loss. 

Surgery does not work well for alopecia areata and someone doesn't work well for frontal fibrosing alopecia. Eyebrows can sometimes return with steroid injections. Our own research study from 2010 showed steroid injections do benefit some women with frontal fibrosing alopecia. 

All in all, a diagnosis is the first step. Hair transplants are not an option for all causes of brow loss

Possible Eyebrow Transplant Needed

Your history thus far is not revealing of autoimmune alopecia. I advise you to see a certified dermatologist to get a diagnosis. If there is no cause for your eyebrow loss, then a transplant may be indicated.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Loss of the Eyebrows due to Many Causes

There are many causes of hair loss (alopecia) and it is very important to see a board certified dermatologist to be evaluated for a diagnosis and treatment plan.  A common cause of eyebrow hair loss is a condition called alopecia areata which is autoimmune.  Treatment with intralesional kenalog injections using a very small needle to a place a dilute steroid solution around the inflammation can be a very effective treatment for this condition.

Anthony Perri, MD
Houston Dermatologist

The only treatment I have ever seen for eyebrow loss is surgery or tatooing.

The only treatment I have ever seen for eyebrow loss is surgery or tatooing. It is amazing what a good tatoo artist can do. Surgery for this is hair transplantation.