Treatments for Hidradenitis Suppurativa

I am 20 years old and have had HS since I was at least 14, when I finally asked the doctor what it was they sent me to the dermatologist. My dermatologist gave me topicals and washes and creams and anything they could think of that might make a difference. There weren't any. Last year I brought up accutane, and I have now been on that for 6 months, but it has not been working like I thought it would. My next hope is laser hair removal. What are your suggestions on this or other treatments?

Hidradenitis suppurativa, a scarring condition of the sweat glands in the underarms and abdominal/groin areas

+1

Hidradenitis suppurative is a frustrating disease, painful, messy and difficult to cure. Chronic antibiotics, topicals and as you suggested, Accutane, are tried commonly. Eventually, many patients need surgical excision to rid them of their disease. It may be such a wide area that several staged excisions, scheduled many months apart, to allow skin to stretch in between surgeries, are the best course of treatment. Otherwise, a wide excision and skin grafting is done.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.