Do You Have to Treat Varicose Veins? Do They Pose Any Danger to Me?

Varicose veins should be treated if you have symptoms - Buffalo Niagara, NY

In our practice, varicose veins are treated if patients have symptoms. There are 11 types of symptoms which are listed on my website. The include aching and pain, heaviness, swelling legs ... 

Another reason to treat varicose veins are cosmetic - patients who don't like the look and want the varicose veins eliminated. This is NOT covered by medical insurance. 

Treating Varicose Veins

Thank you for your question. If the veins are not bothering you, not painful, they are a cosmetic issue.  Have a vascular surgeon evaluate you and determine what your best options are. I hope this helps.

Reasons to treat varicose veins? Are varicose veins dangerous?

Varicose veins may represent a superficial manifestation of ongoing venous reflux.  The risks of not treating varicose veins include blood clots, skin changes, leg ulcers, and worsening of your leg circulation.  I recommend seeing a member of the American College of Phlebology.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Varicose veins can harm

varicose veins can be harmful if associated with significant reflux. especially if this reflux progresses towards skin changes of the lower leg including skin color changes, thinning of the skin, swelling or ulcer formation.

varicose veins are the end result of veins not carrying blood back to your heart and the blood stagnatiing in the legs.

these aformentioned long term sequelae are a result of worsening blood flow in the wrong direction.

so yes varicose veins can be harmful and cause health problems and this is why insurance companies cover the treatment of them.

Treat them if they are painful, swollen, or raised

Some varicose veins can be swollen, puffy, and painful. If you have veins of this type, I would suggest you get them treated. If you have smaller, reticular veins or spider veins, you don't need to get them treated unless they bother you appearance-wise.