Do You Have to Treat Varicose Veins? Do They Pose Any Danger to Me?

Treating Varicose Veins

+1

Thank you for your question. If the veins are not bothering you, not painful, they are a cosmetic issue.  Have a vascular surgeon evaluate you and determine what your best options are. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Reasons to treat varicose veins? Are varicose veins dangerous?

+1

Varicose veins may represent a superficial manifestation of ongoing venous reflux.  The risks of not treating varicose veins include blood clots, skin changes, leg ulcers, and worsening of your leg circulation.  I recommend seeing a member of the American College of Phlebology.

Varicose veins can harm

+1

varicose veins can be harmful if associated with significant reflux. especially if this reflux progresses towards skin changes of the lower leg including skin color changes, thinning of the skin, swelling or ulcer formation.

varicose veins are the end result of veins not carrying blood back to your heart and the blood stagnatiing in the legs.

these aformentioned long term sequelae are a result of worsening blood flow in the wrong direction.

so yes varicose veins can be harmful and cause health problems and this is why insurance companies cover the treatment of them.

Ashburn General Surgeon

Treat them if they are painful, swollen, or raised

+1

Some varicose veins can be swollen, puffy, and painful. If you have veins of this type, I would suggest you get them treated. If you have smaller, reticular veins or spider veins, you don't need to get them treated unless they bother you appearance-wise.