How to Treat the Wound in Order to Avoid Scarring? (photo)

My 18 m old son hit his lower lip on table 1,5 months ago. We did not do any sutures. A week after the hit we visited 3 specialists, 2 of them told us that it would not leave a scar but one of them told us to start a treatment with scarfix cream for 3 mo and after visit him again. My concern is that although 1,5 m have passed the right area of the wound as you see the pic is a bit raised/swollen and bit hard when you touch. Will this stay like this or will flatten in time. Any other treatment?

18 Month Old Lip Scar

+2

Your question is one that many parents ponder when their children get facial scars. Your son (who is very cute btw) has a typical scar for a wound that healed on its own without any intervention like sutures, dermabond, etc. At 1.5 months, the scar will be slightly raised and a little hard to the touch. While convenstional wisdom is that the scar by 6 months to a year should be minimally visibile in a child this age, I have seen many people with residual scar lines from incidents in childhood.

To this end, I agree that a scar product will help reduce the appearance of this scar. The majority of scar products are silicone based, and trap water/moisture in a scar and this works to help reduce scar appearance. There has been a move recently to combine these products with various combinations of steroids to help improve their efficacy. the product I currently like the best is the Enaltus Biocorneum product that combines the scar cream with an SPF, and they have a new version I believe that will have some hydrocortisone in it. Regardless of brand however, the bigger issue is timing the start of the product sooner rather than later. I usually start these products 2-4 weeks after the would has healed, but I have seen these products help almost a year out from the scar formation. At 6 weeks, I think you will see a benefit to using the products.

Beyond scar creams, there are many lasers available to help minimize scarring. My personal favorite here is fractional C02, though I have seen good results with IPL, Diodes, and Pulse Dye lasers in this setting. The challenge in lasering a young child is always there. The nice thing is that lasers on scars can be done later in life with some efficacy. Good luck!!

Albuquerque Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision of a lip scar with laser

+1

In case you want to begin early treatment for the scar, a vascular laser would help the redness of the scar and hasten recovery. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS