How to Treat Spitting Sutures And/or Suture Granuloma when You Cant Get Back to the Surgeon? (photo)

I am 6 weeks post op Full TT, flank lipo, BA/BL and very happy with results - unfortunately traveling M to F for work. How can I care for spitting suture/suture granulomas that are occurring? PS treated 1 with silver nitrate a week ago and it hasn't healed and 2 more are forming. They are very painful. Would it be appropriate to seek a PS out of town? Or is there something else I can do?

How to Treat Spitting Sutures And/or Suture Granuloma when You Cant Get Back to the Surgeon?

The good news is that you have a nice result!

These suture granulomas often won't resolve until the actual suture is removed. If you are out of town, your only choice is  a doctor where you are travelling. A plastic surgeon will probably have the most experience with these issues, but if none is available, a general surgeon should be able to manage this. 

Do see your surgeon when you are home to  try to treat these before they are problematic in the future. 

Wound treament post surgery. Granulomas

Thank you for your photos, to really make recommendations one would need a proper exam. You are going through an active healing process that will take months to complete. Most plastic surgeons put specific sutures in certain tissues for a reason. In a breast augmentation and mastopexy, most usually close the tissue in layers to keep the tissue together and to take tension off the wound. Deep layers are usually absorbable and the skin sutures non absorbable that have to be taken out. Sometimes sutures from the inside will spit out through the wound. If this is the case you may have a little opening.  Sometimes patients will have small granulomas or other reactions. This is usually OK, and will heal, but you should be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon. If your surgeon is not available, please call him/her as they may have a recommendation for the city you are in.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Yes seek ONLY in person PS in your city you are at. Is your treating PS out go country? If no than he/she could refer to local PS in area you are at. 

Suture Granuloma after Tummy Tuck

I would try your best to make an appointment with your existing plastic surgeon.   He or She will have your end result as their highest priority and want to help you.  

If this is not possible, I would recommend visiting a plastic surgeon in your area.    This problem will not resolve unless the suture material is removed and the sooner this is done, the better your longterm scar will be.

I wish you all the best.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD