What Should I Do to Treat Scars After Lower Blepharoplasty?

I had upper and lower blepharoplasty nearly 4 months ago and the scars of lower blepharoplasty are very noticeable i have been applying a cream called tresite f that contains cortisone but i have not seen improvement. The scar on the left eye is like a hole and the one on the right eye is kind of rised. Also the right eye is a little bit more swollen than the left one. I am very worried and depressed. Can someone give me advice please?

Treating Scars After Lower Blepharoplasty

• The good news is that scars do improve over time, even beyond four months.
  • For a raised scar, I may inject cortisone and have patients massage the area in a circular motion against the bone, twice a day for 5 minutes.
  • For a depressed area, a scar revision or dermabrasion may be helpful after six months.
  • Though it is tough to tell from these pictures, it looks as though you may have some darkening (hyperpigmentation) of the incisions. If so, you may benefit from 4% hydroquinone, a bleaching agent that can help lighten the skin.

Brookfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scars after eyelid surgery should improve with time.

The skin of the eyelids usually heals with nearly imperceptible scars though there are people whose scars can be red and firm for a variety of reasons.  Your lid position looks good so I advise you let time be on your side and allow the scars to heal and mature fully.  The redness should fade with time or perhaps some lasering would speed this along.

Persistent Prominent Eyelid Scarring

By this time most people will have almost invisible scars after blepharoplasty, so your concerns are not unwarranted.  The best course of action for now is time and some gentle massage.  Make sure your surgeon is following you closely to ensure nothing else is going on such as a reaction to a stitch.  If this continues, a bit of laser resurfacing may be beneficial.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

What should I do to treat scars after lower blepharoplasty?

Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD