Can You Treat Minor Sagging Under Chin Without Sewing Platysma & Without Tight Feeling in Neck? (photo)

Hi, would you kindly inform me if there's a way to treat minor sagging under the chin without sewing the platysma together- & without causing "noose" or tightness feeling that I hear can be part of a typical neck lift? (I've thyroid issues and a 3 cm nodule--so my neck already has "tightness" issues!) Although I am 55, my face and neck still look really nice--I don't even have any "turkey bands" and have no fat--just a small (but disturbing) sag under the chin. Thanks! Kate

Non-surgical neck lift

+2

You look great for 55...congratulations!

You have evidence of platysmal bands in your photo.  Unfortunately, without addressing those surgically, there is nothing that will give you a lasting good result.

Tightness in your neck is common in the few days after surgery, but usually goes away relatively quickly.  Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area and he can help discuss the best options for you.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Hall

Treating Minor Sagging Under The Chin

+1

Lompoc, C.A., The answer to your question is no. You have early sagging of the anterior borders of the platysma muscles. This will get worse with time. How fast, no one knows. When it gets to the point that you are unhappy enough about the sagging that you want to treat it surgically, see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who can give you your options. Though some tightness after surgery is common, it usually resolves with time. After all, you wouldn't want to have surgery to tighten your neck and expect it to feel loose.

Excess Skin under Chin

+1

In order to give you any type of recommendation you would have to be fully examined to let you know what can be done for your chin. i recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Treatment of minor sagging of neck

+1

You have platysmal bands with some apparent hollowing in the area under your chin.  I have not had good success with less invasive treatments such as Botox.  You would do best to have a neck lift with the platysma muscle divided low in your neck  and then have the muscles brought together in the midline to restore a youthful convexity under the neck.  If this is done properly you should not have any tightness as you describe.  

If You Want Your Neck to Look Good for a Long Time You Will Need a Platysmaplasty

+1

First of all, you look great for 55. Congrats.From your photo it looks like platysmal bands are at the root of your problem. If you try to tighten the skin without doing anything to the platysma muscle, you will likely get recurrent sagging in a relatively short period of time (the tightened skin will be pushed back downwards by the heaviness of the muscle edges- remember, skin is meant to cover, not to provide support). The only reliable way to get the sagging to go away for a long period of time is to sew the platysma back together in the midline. You could do this with a neck lift (mini or regular). While having the neck feel tight after this lift is common, it usually goes away very quickly (a few weeks to a month), and generally is not an issue that tends to bother people very much. Good luck.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minor sagging under chin

+1

Loose skin under the chin is aggravated by the platysmal muscle bands, so, addressing the muscle by direct suturing is the best solution.  As you have shown in your photo, the rest of your face and jawline is fine, so a mini-neck or shortcut facelift will likely leave you disappointed over time, even if your early submental neck results are encouraging.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Can You Treat Minor Sagging Under Chin Without Sewing Platysma & Without Tight Feeling in Neck?

+1

Yes, we offer a submental skin excision that can tighten the area without requiring plication or sewing of the platysmal muscle. 

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Sagging Neck

+1

Hello, in reviewing the photo you submitted it appears that a platysmal plication is in order. At this point you only have a little sagging but surgery is still necessary to eliminate the banding and the slight sag. If this is starting to bother you schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon.

+1

The lateral posted photo view does show some laxity sub mentally. Best is a mini neck lift. But you could try Smart Lipo to attempt at some skin tightening. To me you should address the thyroid issue first. 

Treating sagging skin under chin and neck

+1

When the neck starts to sag, it is because the upper portion of the face and jawline have relaxed and as a result the neck muscle/skin starts to settle (sagging). This is a continuous process over years. The definitive treatment, even in early and subtle cases is a vertically-based facelift technique used to restore the soft tissues of the jawline and neck back to their more youthful position. This also supports the tissue so they do not sag and age further in the upcoming years. A tight or pulled look should not occur if the procedure is done properly with an experienced and skilled facial surgeon. 

Web reference: http://wwww.drkaram.com

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon