How Can I Treat Laser Hair Removel Burns?

Hello, i did a laser treatment a week ago with an IPL laser hair removel, on level 3. After the treatment, i noticed there were burns all over my legs. I need to know if the burns will ever vanish or fade, are there any ointments for this, and is there any possible treatment for it? Please notify me if you want me to clarify more details in my story. Thank you!

Treatment for laser hair removal burns

+1

Two things:

1. I am concerned. Did you do the treatment yourself? Was this a "home device"? If not, and you had it done at an office, I would first suggest you contact that office immediately to let them know you were burned and to see them so they can evaluate your needs. Your skin in the pictures appears to be darker in tone but since I do not know what type of machine you used or was used on you, it's hard to say if the burns happened because the setting was too high, or because of something else.

2. Dr. Schwartz's burn care instructions are great. Follow them. If you have any additional redness or itching, which can be an effect of the burns healing, apply hydrocortisone 1%, available at any phamacy OTC for a few dollars, to these sites after cool water.

Good luck!

Treatment for Laser hair removal burns

+1

My recommendations for treatment of burns in the skin are as follows:
1. Keep the areas clean by washing with a mild soap twice daily.
2. If there is blistering, relieve the pressure and hasten healing time by gently popping all blisters using a sterile needle or pin at the side of the blister. This should be a painless procedure. Do not remove the roof of the blister but allow it to settle down so it is flush with the skin. The blister roof will then form a protective cover.
3. Apply Aquaphor Healing Ointment (available without a prescription) to all involved areas to keep them "greasy". The greasier the area is, the faster it will heal. The drier and scabbier the area gets, the slower it will heal.
4. Permanent scarring is unlikely but you have to guard against post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation by constant protection from the sun for these areas such as using protective clothing and sunscreens.
5. Make certain you are under a doctor's care and watch for signs of infection so that oral antibiotics can be started as soon as possible if necessary.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon