How to Treat Induration After Cellulaze?

I had Cellulaze surgery 3 weeks ago. I saw my PS yesterday and expressed my concern regarding how hard, lumpy, numb, and hot the front and back of my legs feel. He said this is induration, swelling, and inflammation, and there is nothing I can do to help it subside. I asked about lymphatic massage, arnica, exercise, wearing the compression garment, etc., and he said none of these things have been proven to help. I'm uncomfortable doing nothing, isn't there something I can do to alleviate these symptoms?

There are ways to reduce induration after Cellulaze.

+2

For the first six weeks after Cellulaze I recommend that patients wear a compression garment, eat a low salt diet (less than 2 grams/day)  rich in protein and green vegetables with appropriate caloric intake for your size, exercise regularly after the first two weeks, drink plenty of water (8 glasses a day) and elevate their legs as much as possible, and take appropriate supplements. Preop I stress the importance of patience during the first 3-6 months because the results from the treatment take 9-18 months to be realized. These are all treatment guidelines and there is no standards that all physicians follow. I do offer manual lymphatic drainage and I recommend that patients massage their treated areas with Aquaphor ointment (over the counter moisturizer) twice daily because I am noticing that skin with cellulite skin is often dehydrated and I am observing that daily massage and application of a thick moisturizer seems to help the recovery process.  

Post Cellulaze

+1
Hello. In my plastic surgery practice in the San Francisco Bay Area, we encourage all Cellulaze patients to have either lymphatic drainage massage and/or Velashape treatments beginning as early as 3 week after the procedure. We have found it definitely speeds recovery and patients are uniformly happy with the results. This of course will need to be supplemented with massage on your own of the treated areas on a daily basis. Best of luck, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Follow up appointments are necessary

+1

At your follow up appointment ask your surgeon to re-assess the area.  You may need a touch up procedure to help smooth over the skin.

Bruce E. Katz, MD