Best Way to Treat Hormonal Acne?

I have been diagnosed with hormonal acne but it has subsided for the most part. My skin is clear but I have left over dark spots on my chin area; what's the best way to treat and/or prevent hormonal acne and residue of dark spots?

Hormonal acne

+2

If the acne is hormonal, based on a clinical assessment (history taking, location of acne) and/or blood work, then the birth control pill is something to consider, or another pill called spironolactone. To deal with the marks that remain, prescription vitamin A products can be particularly helpful as well as various prescription fading creams. Chemical peels & microdermabrasion are a more aggressive treatment, often with faster results, but more expense. Laser resurfacing is another option, but has more down time and expense, but often deeper/better results.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical peels offer the best resolution to the dark spots of acne

+2

Chemical peels offer the best resolution to the dark spots of acne. While other treatments such as lasers and home creams can work peel have been doing the job for 2000 years!

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Hormonal Acne

+1
For the dark marks you may want to consider laser treatment, or peels.
For the hormonal acne, ask your medical provider and Spironolactone which can help work as an anti-androgen and works well for patients who break out with female acne. Also Aczone is a topical medication that works well for hormonal acne and often is not too drying for patients.

Eric Schweiger, MD

Dark Spots from Acne

+1

Topical treatments can help. Serial microdermabrasion and chemical peels can also play a part. Intense pulse light treatments can be useful as well.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combination treatment is best for control and prevention

+1

Acne is a complex problem--if a hormonal component seems to be playing a role in a female patient, I consider treatment with spironolactone, an oral medication that has hormone normalizing effects on the skin.  This will help to control and prevent further acne breakouts.  This can be combined with various topical measures to help fade the brown pigmentation including topical retinoids (Atralin is a favorite of mine), Finacea gel, or salicylic acid peels.  Light therapy with IPL or photodynamic therapy may also help to decrease brown spots and prevent future breakouts.

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Hormones for the acne, retinoids for the discoloration

+1

You have two problems: 1. you have hormonal acne, often associated with polycystic ovarian syndrome and 2. you have post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Treatments for PCO and the acne include Yaz and Spironolactone. Adding Tazorac or Retin A not only prevent recurring acne, but also help with the discoloration without bleaching your normal skin. Silkpeel and chemical peels are great options to fade dark spots more quickly.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist