Is it possible to treat a freckle on the lips? (photo)

This freckle appeared after a painful pinch was done to my lips a day later when I was younger. In other words, it's not a mole or anything cancerous. Would this be possible to get removed via laser? From my understanding, the lips are very sensitive. Thank you so much!

Is it possible to treat a freckle on the lips?

+2

Yes. This can be removed. You'll want an in person evaluation to confirm that there is nothing suspicious about the mole. If not, it can be ablated with a laser treatment or removed with a small surgical excision. Both can be performed in the office without deep anesthesia. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dark spots on lips are easily treated with zapping by laser or electrofulguration.

+2

The dark spot on the lip is easily zapped  under local anesthesia. Sometimes they need  to be done a couple of times but it works really well and is fast. Cost is roughly $150-250 and so worth it. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Scalpel Sculpting Works Well For Moles On The Lips

+1

Scalpel sSculpting, which involves no deep cutting or stitches has, in my experience, proven quite successful for achieving gratifying aesthetic results while leaving little, or often barely perceptible, scars even on the lips.

The technique, which I have been using for thirty years, involves "scultping the mole" off from the surrounding skin in a tangential fashion (i.e. not cutting deeply into the skin). Deep cutting will inevitably result in a scar, while superficial (horizontal) removal in this fashion largely avoids this. 

• As an important aside, if a true mole (as opposed to a freckle or "liver spot")  is clinically suspected, destructive modalities to simply destroy the tissue, e.g. lasers, electrocautery, electrodessication or cryosurgery should not be performed since these simply destroy all the mole tissue and do not permit a small specimen to be sent to the lab to ensure that the mole removed was entirely benign.

Following scalpel sculpting, the borders of the mole can then be smoothed and blended with the surrounding normal skin by "dermaplaning," a technique by which the edge of the scalpel is used to delicately abrade the skin. Properly done, the entire procedure, performed under local anesthesia, takes no more than three to five minutes. In most cases, the procedure is done at the time of the consultation.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Brown spot on lip

+1

It looks to me as there is a lump or mass in the "freckle". If that is the case a RF may be the best solution. Scars on lips can be awful looking. Ask your surgeon what is the best way to minimize any scaring. 

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon