How Do I Best Treat a Bite Mark to Face (photo)?

I was bitten by a friends dog 4 weeks ago and my scar is still really raised, the area swollen and quite hard and sometimes sore. I've been told to put sun screen on it every day which i have been. I would like to know what else I can do to help it heal and reduce scarring please?

Dog Bite Scar

+2

Unfortunately, dog bites tend to cause a great degree of inflammation because of the contaminated nature of the wound. At 4 weeks, I would expect you to have some degree of swelling and redness. It is a good idea to allow this process of inflammation to subside before considering intervention.  Consideration of scar revision usually starts at 6-9 months. I agree with the recommendation to apply sunscreen to prevent hyper- or hypopigmentation in the affected area.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pulsed dye scar laser to treat a dog bite scar

+1

The scar is still swollen.  Nonetheless, I would begin with immediate pulsed dye scar laser (PDSL) for consecutive treatments to improve the scar. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS