Do You Treat Afro American Skin for Lip and Smile Lines with Juvederm?

Injectable Fillers are Perfectly Fine for People of Color

+1

All of the currently available fillers and volumizers, including Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus, Restylane, Perlane, and Radiesse are absolutely fine for use in African Americans, as well as other people of color. These  materials are injected below the epidermis (the uppermost level of the skin that contains the pigment producing cells, melanocytes, responsible for skin pigmentation). As a result there is no interaction between the material and the pigment in our skin and hence no problems in this regard. 

Through the years I have used each of these products successfully in many patients of all ethnicities and skin types without any pigmentary problems.

Fillers can be used in African American skin

+1

Unlike lasers, fillers can be used in any skin type without a problem since they are placed under the surface of the skin and not interacting with the pigment in the top layer.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm is color blind!

+1

Juvederm and other HA fillers such as Restylane can be used with no restriction regarding people of color.  Lip and smile lines can be greatly improved with the addition of such fillers. I would encourage you to find a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to artfully place the filler.  I think you will be pleased with your results! 

Pamela Carr, MD
Sugar Land Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers and african -american patients

+1

WHy not?  There are no restictions based upon ethnicity.  I treat patients of all ethnicities in my practice with great results.

Afro American skin for lip and smile lines with Juvederm

+1

Why not? Any ethnic group can be a good candidate for any fillers. Seek opinions from certified injection docs in your area to determine which filler and which doctor will fit your needs. From MIAMI DR. B

Juvederm and Afro American skin

+1

I treat African American patients and have seen no issues associated with treatment of lip lines and laugh lines with Juvederm. If there is a specific issue you are concerned about, be sure to mention it to your surgeon, dermatologist during your consultation visit.

Anifat Balogun, MD

Restylane and juvederm in skin of color

+1
Absolutely! Restylane or Juvederm are used very commonly in all skin types. I have not seen any increase in hyperpigmentation or scarring in ethnic skin when fillers are used.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Juvederm was tested on skin of color

+1

I was part of the FDA phase III study on Juvederm. 20% of the patients enrolled were ethnic skin patients. There was no incidence of irregular pigment, keloids or inflammation. Juvederm is very safe for African American patients.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Juvederm is great for African American Skin

+1

Juvederm works very well for skin no matter how much pigmentation is present.  In any patient, Juvederm injections can occasionally cause a bruise.  If that happens, it is important to avoid the sun until the bruise is gone.  In pigmented skin there can be some darkening if it is exposed to the sun when there is a bruise or skin irritation.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm in African American skin

+1

Juvederm and other hyaluronic acid fillers perform exceptionally well in African-american skin as well as most other skin types.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon