How Should I Treat These Acne Scars on my Cheeks?

I never ever had acne on my cheeks until the last year or so. I've done a few tca peels at home (15%) and I don't think they've really helped. I'm not sure how to proceed next. I live in a smaller city with few options of dermatologists so would prefer to get some expert advice before I go and see one.

Acne Scars/Brown Spots

+1

I agree, it is hard to tell from the photo what type of acne scars you have.  Generally, they fall into two types: larger indentations versus very deep, narrow pits. 

The first step is too clear up any existing acne and brown spots.  Then deal with what's leftover.  Typically, I treat the scars with a combination of laser treatments,  CROSS TCA (strong chemical peel directly into the scar), direct excision and filler.  People generally need some combination of the above depending on their skin type.  Good luck, Hanah Vargas, Kansas City

Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scars v. hypernpigmentation

+1

From the picture it appears that you have dark spots, hyperpigmentation, rather than true scars on your cheeks. First, you must make sure you get your acne under control as you will just get a new spot, that lasts much longer than any pimple, with each acne lesion. Often controlling your acne will take care of these marks. Once acne is under control consider bleaching cream, brightening agents (which don't have hydroquinone) or chemical peels to get rid of the marks faster. In the end, you must discuss this with your dermatologist. Good luck.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Acne scars are treated by so many methods.

+1

Your derm doc will tell you all the options you may need and the cost.  There are so many great ways to fix scars today that you should be fine with your new derm. md.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon