Travelling After Breast Augmention

I am planning on having surgery in late April and travelling overseas for 4 weeks in late July. Will this be sufficient time for my breasts to heal to a point where it's safe to be such a far distance from my surgeon?

Traveling after a Breast Aumentation

That is plenty of time to recover. The magic time frame for most surgical healing is 6 weeks. After six weeks the scar tissue is strong enough to resume a normal life.

Many patients can travel, even a few days after surgery, as long as they do no lift anything heavy, Moreover, they have to understand that if a complication occurs, they will have to return for treatment.

Traveling Just after breast augmentation is OK

You can travel within 2-4 days after your breast augmentation as long as you don't have to lift heavy suitcase.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Traveling After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Barring any unforeseen complications, you should be fine to travel overseas. Consult with your board-certified surgeon regarding any questions or concerns throughout your recovery. Good luck and safe travels!

Brian Coan, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Traveling after breast augmentation?

Hello!  Thank you for your question. Given that you are progressing as expected and your course has been uncomplicated, four weeks should be a reasonable time to proceed with your travel plans.

Ensuring adequate oral intake and mobility is a must and proper postoperative care of the surgical sites and incisions is prudent. An evaluation postoperatively as well as prior to departure is usually done to make sure that all is well for your travel back. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Travel after breast augmentation

I always encourage patients not to travel out of the area for at least three weeks after surgery.  First, imagine having an infection or complication in a strange city or foreign country and trying to seek the services of a plastic surgeon there----language barriers, cost, angst, etc.  There are potential risks in terms of airline cabin pressure.  And, significantly, after surgery and anesthesia time, you need to give your body a rest before setting out.  Air travel is notorious for spreading viruses as cabin air is recirculated.  I also do not advise patients to lift heavy objects, such as suitcases, for at least 2-3 weeks postoperatively.  Ground personnel no longer heft those bags as they used to in the past and I wouldn't want a patient to be lifting a bag into the overhead bins.  Three months after surgery is perfectly fine and more than enough time for you to have recuperated from surgery and to be ready to enjoy a wonderful vacation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast augmentation and travel

I fyou hae the surgery in April, you should be okay by July to travel and enjoy yourself provided that you do not have any healing issues.

Traveling 4 weeks after breast implant augmentation

Generally speaking, it should be safte to travel 4 weeks after breast implant augmentation as long as your procedure was uncomplicated. Strenous physical activity such as lifting a heavy suitcase may be restricted by some surgeons for a minimum of 6 weeks so plan on traveling light or having someone lift your baggage.

Travel after breast aug

You will have more than enough time to heal. i usually let my patients do anything they want physically after 4 weeks.Have fun.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Travel after breast augmentation

As long as your procedure goes smoothly you should have no problems traveling 4 weeks after your procedure.  It is always better to plan for the worse and hope for the best following any operation.  You will invest time and money into a procedure that will have life time consequences.  Proper planning is a key to success.  More than likely you will be fine.   Good luck.  

Breast Augmentation travel pass.

Traveling 4 weeks after a breast Augmentation should be no problem. Frequently we see patients from out of town and they can travel soon after the surgery.

The first few days are the most important and after a week you should be relatively problem free at one week , as far as problems that need immediate surgery. 

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon