Traveling After Upper and Lower Blepharoplasty?

I am due for upper & lower Blepharoplasty and I would like to know if I can take the train back as I live 3 hours from the hospital or would you suggest taking a taxi?

I don't mind looking odd to others so long as I can save some money on the transport. An opinion would be appreciated. Thank you.

Traveling after blepharoplasty

+3

After you have decided on which surgeon you would like to perform your upper and lower lid blepharoplasty you will likely sit down with that surgeon and discuss the risks and potential complications of your upcoming surgery. Although the chances are extremely remote, one of the potential complications of blepharoplasty is blindness.

Blindness can occur as a result of bleeding following surgery and pressure building up in your eye leading to compromised blood flow to the area of the eye responsible for vision. Please, do not travel further than a quick trip to your surgeon's office for the first 48 hrs after your blepharoplasty has been completed.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Traveling after upper and lower Blepharoplasty

+2

I suggest that all patients stay within 1 hour of the office after surgery. Three hours is a little too long as if there is a complication such as bleeding one could lose their vision. This is an extremely rare complication but one worth respecting.

Andrew Jacono, MD

Travel Comfortably after Blepharoplasty

+2

The first two hours after blepharoplasty are critical. That's the time when you can bleed. You have to be very comfortable after surgery. If you are uncomfortable it can increase your blood pressure increasing the risk of bleeding within the eyelid which can cause blindness.

I would recommend that you get a taxi to pick you up and make sure they understand it has to be a slow comfortable ride.

During the ride continuously apply ice to reduce the swelling and risk of bleeding.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Taking a train after Blepharoplasty is very foolish and I'm sure your surgeon would not approve of this. At least a taxi but why not stay overnight close to the doc just in case something goes South? Regards.

Stay near your doctor after significant facial surgery for the first weeks

+2

After Blepharoplasty and other significant facial surgery, staying near your doctor for the first weeks is important. The most important periods when bleeding can occur is usually the first 24 hours where most events (greater than90%) occur. The second point is 6-7 days later when the clots start to dissolve and there is a period when the blood vessels are unstable. Sudden bleeding can lead to significant pressure on the eye that might need to be addressed immediately. Sometimes this pressure can put your vision at risk. I usually suggest not flying for at least 2 weeks from the procedure.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Travel after Blepharoplasty

+2

I live and practice in a resort area, and am the closest Plastic Surgeon for a number of people like you. There are only a few operations following which I really do not like patients to travel. One of these is Blepharoplasty. The reason is simple. One of the risks of the operation is postoperative bleeding. By significantly restricting patient activity immediately after the procedure, we have almost eliminated this problem.

The main reason we know so much about this is that the major complication caused by the bleeding is blindness. At one time blindness was rare, but common enough to be very worrisome. By us as a group changing injection techniques and restricting patient activity, I have not heard of a case of blindness in many years.

A hotel room near the OR and someone to be with you the night of surgery, in my opinion, is absolutely mandatory. You are spending a lot for the surgery. A little bit more (we have deals with the local hotels) is a small price to pay for the safety it affords.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Avoid traveling after eyelid surgery

+2

While eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, might appear to be a simple corrective procedure, it's potential problems can be complex. I would not recommend traveling far from your physician or dependable surgical care in the immediate post-operative period. There are too many potential problems, i.e. bleeding, which can be effectively and reliably cared for be your surgeon immediately if you're close by.

Jeffrey D. Hoefflin, MD

Stay Put after Blepharoplasty Eyelid Surgery

+2

I am sure that your physician would prefer that you did not travel 3 hours away after eyelid surgery. In very rare circumstances the eyelids may swell after eyelid surgery and could necessitate your doctor needing to evaluate your eyes and eyelids immediately.

If you are 3 hours away, the results could be very poor by the time the doctor examines you. Stay put and book a hotel room close to your doctor's office or surgical center. Good Luck.

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Take it easy after eyelid surgery

+2

It is important that you stay as still as possible following a Blepharoplasty. Bruising and bleeding can occur for several days following the surgery (especially the day of surgery). The less you move around in that period of time, the less likely you are to bruise or bleed.

The ideal situation is to sit quietly in a chair with ice on your eyes as much as possible. Bottom line, take a taxi.

Hope this helps.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Strongly advise that you spent the first night in a hotel near your surgeon

+2

Dear Nrye

Traveling immediately after an eyelid surgeon is not a great idea. The first few hours are critical to avoid causing a hemorrhage in the eyelid that can mess up an otherwise well done surgery. Also if you develop a problem it is most common in the first 10 hours after surgery. If you are three hours away from your surgeon, it will be difficult for you to obtain the help you need. I recommend that you stay overnight in a hotel near where you are having surgeon so that you can get the help you need should you have an emergency. The next day, the likelihood of having an issue is much smaller and travel is much safer.