Traveling for Gastric Bypass

I've been researching bariatric doctors and can't find any near me that I feel comfortable with. Is it okay to travel out of state or out of country for gastric bypass?

Traveling for bariatric surgery

People travel to me form all over the country to undergo bariatric surgery.  Bariatric surgery requires great technical expertise and experience.  It is very important to find a surgeon you feel very comfortable with and has an excellent reputation and large experience.  You should also choose a surgeon that is an ASMBS Center of Excellence.  This assures you of the surgeon having a great experience and proper equipment and training to perform your surgery.  I would encourage you to find the best surgeon possible.

Traveling for bariatric surgery

This is major surgery with potentially major complications. I would definitely try to find a local surgeon or arrange for local post-operative managment in the event of complications.