Traveling from California to South Beach Florida, Four Weeks After a Full Tummy Tuck, is This Bad for the Inflamation?

My husband surprised me with a trip on our anniversary and I will be traveling this Thursday, exactly 5 weeks or 35 days after surgery. I am concerned about how much walking is ok, how much is the trip in the plain will affect my swelling, Is it ok to go in the beach, I was told not to expose my scar to the sun, does this mean with the bathing suite on? Dr.'s what are your recomendations in this type of situations. Thanks,

Tummy tuck and travel

+1

You should make sure your surgeon knows and take his or her recommendations.   If you are well healed and there have been no problems from your surgery, the travel should be fine.  Be careful,about sun exposure not only to the scar but to the abdominal skin.  There is usually an area of numbness that will be prone to easy sunburning.  Also, while on the airplane, get up periodically and walk around to prevent getting blood clots in your legs, which could be very serious.  Otherwise,Mohave a great trip and enjoy your flat tummy!

Traveling 5 weeks after your Tummy Tuck

+1

Hi there-

The best short answer I can give you is that if your surgeon (who, after all is in the best position to answer your question) is comfortable with you going then it should be okay- but listen to his instructions and precautions carefully.

Protecting your scars from the sun is going to be very important in achieving a thin and inconspicuous scar- and the more you protect it the better.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Traveling is ok but be prepared to do less than more

+1

Traveling on an airplane should be ok at this point in time of your recovery.  However, when you travel, expect that your stamina will be low.  Your body is still in the recovery mode and so, expect to feel really wiped out and tired after the plane ride.  Don't expect your body to do all the things that you would do if had not had surgery a month ago and don't push yourself to do everything either.  Take lots of breaks and rests during your trip.  Most likely your body will demand this of you.  Be careful with blood clots in the legs during your flight. Get up and ambulate (walk) regularly during the flight as well.

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Tummy Tuck- Traveling

+1

I think that you would not have any problems with traveling one month after your abdominoplasty. you can wear a bathing suit but should use sun screen. Although all your swelling is not subsided you will be ok. Enjoy your new body!!!!

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Traveling is This Bad for the Inflamation?

+1

My only concern would be the 5 or 6 hours of immobility in the plane. Get up and walk every hour, and review the calf exercises for passengers and do them. Although most of the risk of blood clots is probably diminished by 4 weeks, the risk is not zero. Check with your surgeon about the use of compression stocking and aspirin. Enjoy the trip, be active. Keep sun block on any incision (navel) that is actually exposed to sunlight. Under the suit is not an issue.