Traveling After Breast Augmentation and Liposuction?

I'm considering having breast augmentation and liposuction of the flanks, thighs and abdomen at the beginning of November. How long until I can travel after breast augmentation and liposuction? I'm thinking of going to Hawaii toward the middle of November. Is this enough time for me to have post-op appointments?

Combined procedures and travel

+3

As you can see, a minimum of 2 weeks after surgery is generally recommended before plane travel. However, one thing you might consider is that the breast augmentation will look good in a bathing suit, but the liposuction will not look great at only 2 weeks. There may still be bruising and swelling there and you probably won't feel as attractive as you would if your trip was one month after surgery or if you did only the augmenation. Good luck!

To be completely safe one should not travel long distance like to Hawaii for about 6 weeks.

+3

The early risk of bleeding is usually over after 2 weeks. However to travel long distances either by car or plane where you will be sitting for hours you should wait about 6 weeks. The problem is that with extended surgery under general anesthesia there is a risk of venous blood clots. This risk is increased with travel. in fact it is recommended that people get up and walk around frequently when flying or driving unrelated to previous surgery. Stay safe, that is the most important issue.

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Traveling to Hawaii for 2 weeks after breast implants and lipo

+2

I would generally advise waiting at least 2 weeks but if your purpose is to wear a bikini and lie in the sun, I would recommend waiting about 3 months.

Recovery time for liposuction and breast implants

+2

There is no time set in stone for recovery time after aesthetic surgery procedures. Also, recovery is gradual. So, after a day or two you are going to start feeling better but it takes time for your body to heal, swelling to resolve, incisions to mature. If you are planning on traveling and sitting on the beach and relaxing, you will most likely be fine. If you are going on a golf trip or rock climbing, then you probably will not be fine. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Plane travel after combined procedures

+2

Dear Aricarai,

This is a very common combination procedure I do in my certified office surgical suite under intravenous sedation. The immediate postoperative risks, we as surgeons, are concerned about is bleeding and possible blot clots or pulmonary embolus. These procedures are bloodless due to the tumescent solution for liposuction, which incidentally I use for my augmentation technique as well. The risk of blood clots decreases rapidly after 7-9 days post surgery. You may travel by plane two weeks after surgery, but remember to get out of your seat and walk or stand periodically, do not cross your legs, and move your feet "like pressing the gas pedal" periodically while sitting. I expect my patients to be up and around the day after surgery and not stay in bed. Visit my web site for further information: www.bellevueplasticsurgeons.com. Best of luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon