Can I Travel by Plane a Week After Labiaplasty? Two Two Hours Flights.

I had labiaplasty on monday, I need two travel the coming Tuesday. There's still significant swelling. Will I be able to go on 2 - 2 hours flights? My fear is blood clots. Thanks in advance.

Labiaplasty recovery

+1

My patients are able to fly two days or more following surgery.  I prefer for them to rest and apply ice for the first 24hrs to speed their recovery and minimize swelling.

+1

Labiaplasty is a short procedure in most cases.  Getting up and moving around every 30 minutes or so is always recommended on flights.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Travel after labiaplasty

+1

You should easily be able to travel a week after a labiaplasty. Many of my patients travel long distances 1-2 days after a wedge labiaplasty, even overseas.   However, you should ask your surgeon.  The risk of blood clots should be the same as anyone.  It is recommended that you get up and walk on any flight anyway to help prevent clots.

Sincerely,

Dr. Gary Alter

Gary J. Alter, MD

Recovery and travel after labiaplasty surgery

+1

Postoperative instructions should usually come from your surgeon.  That being said, it is usually normal to travel a few days after a labiaplasty procedure.  Drink lots of water and make sure to talk occasional breaks and walk around. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Labiaplasty

+1

An otherwise healthy patient should be able to  travel one week after labiaplasty, but you should discuss with your surgeon.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and travel

+1

A lot of my patients travel from out of town to see us in Atlanta. Many of our patients are able to travel on planes or cars with the appropriate support. Our patient are informed to get up and walk if they travel more than 1 hour. If you have upcoming events, make sure to discuss these with your surgeon prior to the procedure.

Stanley Okoro, MD

+1

This is a very specific question, the answer to which depends on the type of procedure you had, your underlying general health, your expected activity level, waiting time, access to restroom during flight, and really, only the operating surgeon should answer.  My patients and I discuss recovery and activity level, including expected travel, before surgery.  We schedule the surgery to accommodate such obligations.  

Steve Laverson, MD

Flying after labiaplasty

+1

Always get the final approval from your operating surgeon, but in general for an otherwise healthy patient, it is okay to fly a week after labiaplasty.  During the flight you may want to stand up and walk the isle once up and down every hour to minimize both the pressure on the still swollen labia and the risk for blood clots in the legs.  Glad to help... @drryanstanton.com

Ryan Stanton, MD

Flying a week after labiaplasty

+1

should be tolerable if you can keep pressure off of the sutures and everything is healing well.  If you can cancel your trip, that would be better.  However there are those hemorrhoid cushions you could use to keep pressure off the healing area if you find it too difficult to sit at home.  Clots, I presume you mean the ones the form in your legs, can always occur from sitting for prolonged times but there are exercises and stockings you can wear to minimize that risk.  This is my opinion and you should verify this with your surgeon.

Curtis Wong, MD