Do I Need Travel Insurance to Travel from Canada to the Dominican Republic for my Tummy Tuck and Lypo?

I need to know if I need to purchase additional travel insurance to go from Ontario, Canada to the Dominican Republic for surgery. Also, if so, where would I find that type of insurance?

Travel insurance when going abroad

+2

I would suggest it in case you have problems down there and cannot return home...  Don't fault you for wanting a better price but if you have problems, your costs will balloon at home.  Hope it goes well for you.

You need insurance and good luck

+2

Unless you speak the language and could act like a native you should be very very careful. If any thing goes wrong you have no help. If they put you on a plane back home and you need help no doctor will want touch you due to legal liabilities. I hope this helps. Some of the worlds best plastic surgeons are from other countries but I doubt that is what you have hooked up with.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Research

+1

You do realize that you are going to a Third World country that does not have to uphold the medical standards of the United States or Canada. If you are thinking of your travel insurance/life insurance perhaps you may want to think of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in the US that would be easily available for follow-up appointments as well as complications if one should occur. Financing is usually available. Good luck.

Christine Rodgers, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Think twice

+1

I would increase your life insurance. Surgery in the US or Canada is a known entity -- medical tourism has major risks. What happens if you have a problem --- are you going to go back to have it corrected.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

You most definitely should get insurance

+1

First, I would strongly discourage you from going to Dominican for cosmetic surgery.

Regulations and safety standards do not match up with what is available in Canada and US.  These regulations are here to ensure your safety, not the clinic's safety, and they were implemented for a reason.  Without them it used to be 'wild wild west' and you never knew what you were getting into.  Next, understand that no matter how simple a surgery may be and no matter how good a surgeon may be, no one can guarantee you that you will not have a complication.  If it is a major complication, do you really want to end up in a Dominican hospital?  If it is a minor complication and you make it back home, you will find that you are left without care.  Your surgeon is the one that is responsible for your well being since he/she is back in the Dominican, it really means you'll need to travel back to the Dominican for any corrections, touch ups, or revisions.

Finally, realize that getting a tummy tuck and lipo is not a one-off experience.  Follow up during the recovery period plays an important role in delivering the results you want.  So unless you stay in the Dominican for 6 weeks to 3 months to get the proper follow up, you're missing out on a potentially crucial part of your treatment.

So to answer your question, you most definitively want to have insurance because if you are out of the country and you need urgent medical attention, you can end up bankrupt and penniless very quickly.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Medical tourism

+1

I think your question is best answered by a travel agent. However, since you asked the question let me give you some information on your medical decisions. You're voluntarily leaving a country where they have excellent medical care and going to a Third World country to seek surgery. I realize there is a financial advantage but you are really jeopardizing something more important than finances. Do you think the Third World country would have the same standards in terms of training, sterile technique and instrumentation as your country? I realize that all surgery has potential complications, the problem for you is what happens if you have a complication how will that be cared for?  Also any savings will be lost if you do have a complication. My advice is to put off the surgery until you can afford to do it by a reputable surgeon near you. 

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Medical Tourism

+1

You would be safer and better served having your surgery in the United States and forgetting about travel insurance. If you have a complication or problem you will have to scramble to find a surgeon back home to help you. It's a precarious situation to be in.

David Shifrin, MD

+1

Good question to ask your travel agent. I don't have a clue as to whether there would be coverage for complications of cosmetic surgery or not. Know in advance that you will be taking risks beyond what may be considered acceptable in Canada. 

Do I Need Travel Insurance to Travel from Canada to the Dominican Republic for my Tummy Tuck and Lypo

+1

Read and re-read Dr Jugenburg's posting!!! He says it!!!! The risks to travel to a "third" world country is very high. What do you value for life?? A few saved $$'s. PLEASE re consider your decision and stay in your Canadian city in the hands of a "responsible" PS.