Traveling For BBL, How Long Should I Stay After Surgery?

Hi, So i decided to go with Moises Salama in FL in April.... I live in Va.... How long should i stay? Is Max 5 good enough?

Travelling after BBL

+4

I tend to be quite conservative in this regard.  My patients cant sit on the graft for two weeks after surgery, they need to wear compression garments for 4 weeks and can't exercise for 6 weeks.  I avoid flight for 4 weeks if possible.  Many family issues have required the trip to happen and nothing is wrong with that.  I don't feel that it's contraindicated but because most of this patient population is typically young, many are on BCP's.  The added hormonal influence increases the chance of a blood clot in patient's legs after a general anesthetic.  I've seen it happen a handful of times, a DVT right after a flight in a totally healthy female with no family history of blood clots.  For this reason, i suggest patients avoid it.

Traveling After a Brazilian Butt Lift

+3

Hi,

Thanks for the question.  I have patients travel to see me for this procedure very regularly.  There are a variety of factors than would determine the timeframe, including how much liposuction is being done to get the donor fat (and from how many areas), how old you are, any heath issues you have, how far you need to travel, etc.  All that said, a good rule of thumb is about a week, give or take.

5 days might be a little short, but the doctor you are seeing should be able to give you a timeframe for your specific case.  The key is that you need to stay in town long enough for him/her to be sure you are healing up OK before you get on a plane.  

Daniel Yamini, MD

How Long to Stay in Town and Avoid Travel After a Brazilian Butt Lift

+1

Excellent question. Please see the video and out of town link page to help you further with this answer. This patient came from about that far away.  I have many patients from out of town and a fair amount from out of the country. You are not traveling from very far and I feel that a 3 to 5 day stay is the minimum necessary.  Many patients stay longer but do not need to. You should try to lean on one side or flank in the airplane ride with pillows under you.  On flights longer than 3 hours, I would say get up every 1.5 hours and walk around. Stay hydrated! Avoiding buttock pressure for the first two weeks is key so use your common sense and discuss with your surgeon the details!  Best of luck! Dr Ghavami

Ashkan Ghavami, MD