Can I Travel After Breast Augmentation?

Is it safe to go on a 5 day cruise, four days after a breast augmentation procedure? I will not be going to the sun, beach or pool. I will be relaxing only.

Travel after breast augmentation

+2

As long as you have access to qualified medical care, it is okay to travel after BA. Make certain that if you are cramped up in a car or a plane, that you walk around every 2 hours to decrease the chances of blood clots in your legs.  Also, by some rare chance if you  have a complication, you need to be able to get to your doctor. I don't know if your cruise permits this.

Travel Right After Augmentation

+2

I would not suggest going on a cruise so soon after augmentation since it will be difficult to communicate with your surgeon and any concern will be magnified. The physician on the cruise ship is not trained to take care of problems with breast augmentation. Besides, you will have some discomfort and probably will not be able to enjoy the experience. Many of my patients fly in from other states or countries and I strongly suggest they stay close by for at least a week postoperatively. Those that can not fly back for follow-up.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Cruise after breast augmentation

+2

4 days post breast augmentation  is a bit soon to travel. In all likelihood you will be fine, but I personally prefer my patients to hang around for a few weeks jsut to  make sure there are no immediate complications.

Travel after Breast Augmentation

+2

Traveling after a breast augmentation is not the problem as long as you are not exerting yourself.  The concern with a cruise is that you are isolated from plastic surgery care if you were to have a complication.  The two most likely complications in this time period could be bleeding into the pocket and infection; both would require surgical care.  I would feel more comfortable with your cruise if it were two weeks after surgery.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Although you will probably be okay going on a cruise 4 days after breast augmentation surgery,  I would not recommend it. You are exposing yourself to increased risks  given that you will be somewhat “isolated” on a cruise ship in the event of a complication;  it may be difficult to leave the cruise ship to return to see your plastic surgeon.

You certainly will not be recovered sufficiently to enjoy the cruise;  if I were you I would out the surgery and vacation more.

All Surgeons have different travel policies

+2

I get patients who fly in to Seattle from all over the Pacific Northwest.  I allow them to fly HOME after five days but not on a cruise.  You may possibley still be experiencing pain and swelling and you may not feel like going to shore at any of the ports.  It might be a waste of your money and you might feel better taking the cruise three weeks later.  If something seems wrong the ship's doctor most likely will not have any surgery experience and may not be of any help...

There is nothing wrong with flying five days after your surgery but if I were your surgeon you would not be going on that cruise just six days after surgery.  Make reasonable demands on your surgeon not unrealistic ones.

Phillip C. Haeck, MD