Traumatic Ptosis in Right Eye

I'm 16/m, When I was about 2-3 I fell on a pipe, my retina fully detached, they removed my right eye's lens. My whole life my right eye lid has been lazy & fully blind, I have perfect vision in my left eye. I just want to know what surgery is there to make it look cosmetically normal again?

Traumatic Inability to raise Upper eyelid

+1

The inability to lift the upper eyelid resulting in a sleepy tired look Ptosis can be caused by various degrees of weakening or tearing of the soft tissue attachment (Levator fascia) of the Levator palpabrae muscle on the cartilage lid stave or stiffener (tarsal plate) making up the lower portion of the upper lid OR injury to the muscle itself or its nerve supply (as is seen in some neuromuscular diseases).

Disorders are usually divided into 2 large groups, Congenital (present at birth) or Acquired (happened after birth). In the latter group we have: Trauma, disease or age as the major groups.

In your case, you need a careful evaluation of the extent of present function of the muscle. The operation required to lift the lid would depend on inherent muscle function and recreation of the lid to before the accident.

You should consult an eye surgeon who is experienced with Ptosis surgery and eyelid trauma. This is a specialized field and you should get the best advice.

Traumatic ptosis

+1

I am sorry to hear about your accident.  Traumatic ptosis may be from the levator system dehiscing( separating) from the tarsal plate that allows eyelid elevation. You should definitely seek a consultation with an ophthamologist or plastic surgeon to give you advice.

Traumatic ptosis in right eye

+1

Sorry for your injury. The best advise over the internet is to visit with at least 3 boarded oculo plastic surgeons in your area. Full discuss of treatment options is better in an in person visit.

From MIAMI DR. B

Droopy eyelid surgery

+1

There are different operations that can be done to elevate a droopy eyelid, depending on the severity and remaing function of the eyelid.  It can be done under local anesthesia, with sedation.

Dr T.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Traumatic ptosis

+1

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. This usually causes a disruption of the levator muscle and it might be possible to reattach it. However your doctor may not know what condition the muscle is in, whether it is still strong and functional, or how it will act when your eye is non-seeing on that side.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

It is certainly possible to improve this situation.

+1

I recommend that you have your parents take you to an oculoplastic surgeon in your area.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a website at ASOPRS.org that has a geographically directory to help you identify a qualified surgeon in your area. These are often very complex situations.  You will need a detailed consultation to determine the best options to address your concerns.