Trauma to the Nose Affects Cartilage and Make It Look Big?

When I was 12 I took a hard blow to the left side of my nose. I know that's where I got the hump and the reason why my nose is sorta crooked, I'm pretty sure I had broke it but didn't get medical attention. I'm 16 now and my nose bothers me not because of the way it looks but because I get congested alot and it gives me headaches almost everyday. What are the consequences if I don't get it checked? Can this blow to my nose have affected the cartilage? If so, how does it affect it?

Nasal trauma is a common cause of crookedness and obstruction

+1

Blunt trauma is a common cause of a crooked, obstructed nose.  More often, it is the bone that is fractured but deformity to the septal cartilage or other cartilages in the nose can also result.  Most likely, septorhinoplasty could help you to breath better and attain a straighter appearance.  If you do not get it fixed, I doubt you will have any significant medical problems, but correction can lead to a quality of life improvement.  In the video attached, I discuss the crooked nose deformity and its correction.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose injury

+1

Nasal injury can easily lead to a deformity over time. Your congestion may be from allergies or caused by obstruction of the airway from the old fracture. Quick exam can determine what is causing the problem. Most likely you would benefit from rhinoplasty to correct the shape and septoplasty to correct the breathing issue. These procedures are done at the same time under anesthesia as out-patient surgery.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon