Trauma to Chest Cause Implant Rupture?

I have 20year old silicone breast implants.my left one is incapsulated.My right one is soft and flatter.I had a bycicle accident about a month ago and smacked both sides of my chest on the cement.Ever since then i have had alot of pain in my chest on both sides. It's a piercing pain through my chest into my back,and my left upper to mid abdomen area.This pain is persistant and evrry day now .It is especially worse at night.I know my implants are leaking.But my insurance won't pay for me to have them removed.Please help!

Ruptured Silicone Gel Implants?

+1

I think you will be best off by in person evaluation by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.  Given that the implants have been in place for 20 years and you're dealing with encapsulation,  it will likely be in your best interests  to have the implants removed and replaced.  Capsulectomy  may also be necessary.

Chest trauma

+1

If you sustain significant chest trauma after falling, you need to not just get an evaluation of your implants but also make sure that you did not break a rib, etc...

Breast implants and trauma to chest

+1

It takes a significant amount of force to rupture an implant. However, depending upon the age of the implants, the thickness of the implant shell, and most importantly, the extent of the trauma to the chest, the bicycle accident could have caused your implant to rupture. The best thing to do at this point is to definitely get it checked out, especially since you are in pain. Get an MRI done. This will let you know if there is a leak or not. If there isn't, you accident may have caused trauma to other parts of your body causing the pain.

Insurance will not cover cosmetic procedures. However, you cannot ignore this if it has ruptured. There are several financing options available. Some places offer financial programs that include interest free repayment options. Other places may work out a payment plan with you.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Remove your ruptured 20 year old silicone breast implants.

+1

I don't understand your question: Are you asking if your implant is ruptured or asking for insurance to cover. IF the former is your question: yes, it is possible that trauma caused your implant to rupture but more likely that general wear and tear is responsible. IF the latter is your question: yes, it is unlikely that insurance will cover the implant removal and they certainly will not cover implant replacement. In any event, you should have the 20 year old silicone implants removed. The longer you delay this procedure, the more likely a more extensive procedure will be required.

Chest Trauma and Breast Implants

+1

Can chest trauma rupture breast implants? That would depend on the age of the implants, thickness of the implant shell and, most importantly, the extent of the chest trauma.

It takes a considerable amount of sudden compression to stress an implant to the point of breaking. Being enthusiastically bear hugged will not rupture new implants but MAY rupture very old, thin walled implants. On the other hand, being in a head on car collision and having the steering column hit the chest and break the sternum (chest bone) would probably rupture breast implants. (We had such a case a few years back).

Would a fall off a bike be associated with bilateral implant rupture? Maybe. The best way to find out is to obtain a MRI and find out if you have any hairline fractures or implant leaking.

As regards corrective surgery on the implants, insurance should pay for reconstructive Plastic surgery. No insurance company that I know pays for cosmetic surgery or revision of cosmetic surgery.