Is It Likely That Trauma Caused My Capsulation?

BA ~ 3 years ago and have had no problems at all with them until 6 months ago I had blunt force trauma incident across my chest. I thought I had fractured my sternum. I now have ? capsulation -evident in LHD and beginning in RHS. I have pain between 3/10 and 5/10 most days in both breasts -particulary LHS and regular neuro type pain..Ultrasound at time cleared rupture. I have silicone implants. Is it likely after an uneventful 2 plus years that the trauma caused the capsulation.?

No evidence of trauma to the chest precipitates capsular contracture but it is possible.

+1

There is nothing in the plastic surgery literature that substantially concludes trauma to the chest leads to capsular contracture. This doesn't mean they cannot, just that there is no scientific substantiation of this phenomenon at present.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm

Capsular contracture

+1

It is possible that a significant chest trauma may have cause a microtear and subacute problem leading to a capsular contracture.  Hard to say for sure.

Silicone Implants, Trauma,& Capsular Contracture

+1

Capsular Contracture can occur many years following silicone gel breast implants without any trauma.  Trauma can contribute if there is some bleeding.  Did your ultrasound see any fluid collection?  Although an ultrasound may show a rupture, the gold standard is the MRI.  With the newer cohesive gel implants, it may be difficult to detect small ruptures, which can contribute to capsular contracture.  Have your plastic surgeon evaluate you.  Hope this helps.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon